More Than Just a Prom Picture | Teen Ink

More Than Just a Prom Picture

October 10, 2017
By SamiMarie BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
SamiMarie BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

First thing I see upon opening my wallet is a picture from prom, but to me it is more than just a picture. I remember that day as if it was just yesterday. As a kid I had always dreamed of going to prom but never actually thought I´d get to go with a date and truly experience what prom is supposed to be about. Then, sophomore year I met Ethan; little did I know that later that year this dream I´d had of the perfect prom would become my reality.

     

The whole morning of that day just felt like a blur, first I was playing volleyball at 9 am. Then I was at the hair salon sitting in a leather black chair with many other chairs lining the room, in front of me was a table full of different tools. Along the table laid a brush, curling iron, hair spray, comb, clips,and just about all hair tools possible. The smell of hairspray lingered throughout the whole salon, but it wasn´t a bad smell it was the smell of knowing that I was going to have my dream hair and feel nothing but perfect for prom. Next stop, was for my makeup I can still feel the nerves I felt that day, I had never had a full face of makeup before and was worried of what I would look like. As I began to feel the stroke of the makeup brushes on my face my nerves began to ease. I began to feel like a different person like this was something I´d done everyday. I began to feel beautiful.
   

On the way to Ethan's when I glanced over into the side mirror I saw my blonde highlights spiraling in and out of my curls, and all through the braid on the side of my head. The sun was glistening off of the jewels that lined my navy blue dress. Once I arrived I made my way up the long black driveway to Ethans front porch I began to become almost scared. Running through my head at this moment was questions like what if he doesn't like my dress, hair, or makeup. I slowly began to knock on the front door and when the door began to open I was amazed. There stood Ethan with his dark brown hair slicked to the side making him look professional. As I continued to gaze at him I was in awe at how handsome he looked. He had on a slick black suit with shiny black shoes poking out the bottom. Just beneath the suit you could see a hint of his silver vest which matched the silver in my dress perfectly, and then there was a tie full of many different shades of silver tucked tightly beneath the vest. In his hand he help a corsage with white roses which had the top of each rose died navy blue. Wrapping around the stems was a sparkly silver fabric, it matched my attire spot on. Once my eyes made it to his I could see he was looking at me the way I was at him and this made my heart flutter.
   

As the night wore on we danced like crazy without a care in the world. I specifically remember when Then by brad paisley came on. Ethan pulled me into his arms with his hands resting on my hips while mine rested around his neck. We began to slowly sway as we stared into eachothers eyes neither of us talking, we just enjoyed the moment. Seeing him so care free not worrying about others around us was one of the best things, I could see he was truly enjoying the night just as I was. Therefore, this picture from prom in my wallet is a lot more than just that. It is a captured moment of one of the best days I have had with him. If I am having a bad day all I have to do is open my wallet and there is a picture that can make me feel so much better. It can't fix my problems permanently but by looking at it it reminds me of this perfect day and even if its only for a few seconds it takes all my worries away.


The author's comments:

The way this picture inpacted my emotions is what made me want to write about it, I feel like everyone needs to find a thing that can help them when upset like this picture does for me.