Shaken But Unhurt | Teen Ink

Shaken But Unhurt

By Imanw BRONZE, Frisco, Texas
Imanw BRONZE, Frisco, Texas

The rain lashed against the windshield as my Dad had been driving for almost six hours leading up to the moment. My family and I were on our way back from a wonderful family vacation in Destin, Florida. It was a dark and empty one road highway that we were driving on, at a speed of what felt like less than twenty miles per hour. I was twisting and turning in the back row of the car, which was reserved for me and all the luggage. Just as my eyes were about to close, and I was about to fall asleep, I heard my Mom scream “Hang on!”. In the blink of an eye, I felt a collision of some sort, heard the screeching sound of metal skidding against the car, and my stomach dropped to my feet. Before I had time to process what was going on, the car had completely flipped over. What were only thirty seconds of an accident felt as if it was the longest moment of my life.

I heard my sister cry, one of them hanging from the car seat, while the other was confused, and scared stiff. My Dad, unconscious, and helpless was sitting in the front seat, and my Mom was trying to pry open the locked door that was halfway buried in mud. It took all the strength I had to push the suitcases off of me and get my little sister out of her car seat. My Mom had finally managed to open the door and didn’t hesitate to pick my sisters up and throw them out of the car. She was bleeding from the windshield that had shattered to pieces but still made sure that all of us were okay, before even stopping to think about herself. While she was on the phone with 911, my dad finally gained consciousness and made sure our family was safe. As I was looking around, I realized that this wasn’t a head-on collision, but it was, in fact, a hit and run. It baffled my mind how anyone could get away with potentially ruining someone else's life.

When the police, firetrucks, and ambulance had arrived my sisters and I got into the police car, while my parents were explaining what had happened to the Sheriff. It was the first time that I was at a loss for words, and all of us were silent and still. We were dropped off at the police station after a traumatizing ride. Luckily, none of us were severely injured, so we decided that there was no need to go to the Emergency Room that night, but my whole family went to the doctor the day after. We were thankful and relieved to hear that there was no serious damage, other than the whiplash my Dad and sister’s had, and the cuts and bruises my Mom and I had gotten.

It was as if I was shaken but unhurt, as I was emotionally agitated but physically unhurt. From that point on I had an awakening and came to the realization that our lives are short lived. I could’ve easily lost my loved ones, or even been gone myself. It was a thought that is bone-chilling, and sends shivers down my spine. After that day, I decided to make wise decisions, so that I could live with no regrets. Anyone’s life can change overnight, and I knew I wanted to make the most of mine. Never in a million years would I have thought that on the way back from a fun-filled vacation at the beach, my family and I would face a traumatic car accident.

Another lesson I learned was to hold my loved ones close to me, and not pick a fight over petty things. This one instance helped show me how selfless my parents are in every situation, and how much the bond between me and my sisters mean to me. I learned to put my family first and make an effort to show my love and affection towards each of my family members. I learned to hold my tongue when I want to lash out at one of them and support them through thick and thin.

It was an eye-opening experience taught me valuable life lessons. I have been made aware of my actions and words, and happier overall, because life is short. Life is full of roadblocks, but they can be solved with the right mindset. I learned to live with a greater appreciation of my immense blessings and cherish the little pockets of happiness. Memorable moments aren’t always picture worthy, and this situation was a great example of that.

This is a memoir, depicting the moment my family and I were faced with a traumatic accident. In the memoir, I talk about how I was affected by the eye-opening experience, and how it changed me.