Thank You | Teen Ink

Thank You

Everyone has that one person that changes their life; a girl from Ohio just happened to be the person that changed mine. From the bad days to the good she has always been there for me, that is, at least for the past four years. Not everyone gets the chance to meet their best friend at the age of 13, but I did. Her name is Megan. Small, but a big personality, sometimes I wonder how that much attitude can be such a small person. Brown hair, hazel eyes, and a laugh that is absolutely contagious.

I met her through a video chatting website called YouNow, it allows you to talk to anyone at any time, without them knowing your name, location, age, and anything else, too personal. I clicked on her video chat and we were friends almost immediately. We had a lot in common, the same sense of humor and the best jokes around just happened to be one of many. She loves a good competition, so, sometimes we would sit there, and have a “pun war”. Telling random puns until someone ran out, whoever ran out first lost. We talked every single day for weeks and weeks no matter what.

Before I met Megs, I had no idea what to do in tough situations. I didn’t know how to process my thoughts or keep my cool under pressure. Somehow, even from 260 miles away, she knows me better than anyone. My favorite color, favorite number, favorite animal, favorite food, favorite movie, what kind of music I listen to, there is not a single thing she doesn’t know. She is the one person throughout my life that I know I could tell anything to. Megan is the person, I know I can trust, because no matter how big the news, it stays with her. She has never left me in hard times (even though sometimes, I probably deserve it) and has always supported me in everything I do.

One day I was having a lot of problems with things in my life, so I didn’t text her, I didn’t snapchat her, I didn’t even get on YouNow to say “hey”. She called me about a million times and finally she just left a voicemail because she knew I was in no mood to talk, her voicemail was short and simple, but what she said, I will never forget. “Hey loser, I know you’re having a bad day, but just know, that I’m here if you need to talk. Keep your head up! It’s okay, and I will be here when you’re ready to talk.” I’ve never had anyone in my entire life, up until that moment, tell me that it’s okay and I just need to keep my head up and that no matter what is going on, they will be there for me. That wasn’t just a thing she said, it was a promise. Since that day she has not once, broke that promise.

From that day on, she taught me how to be myself, she taught me that no matter what others think, I am Morgan Allen and that is all I need to be. I don’t need to please anyone else but myself, and to be happy, all I have I have to do, is keep my head up, because everything will be okay. (Thanks, Megs.)

My friend has been there with me through thick and thin. This memoir is kind of like a thank you to her for everything that she has done for me throughout our friendship.