Letting Go | Teen Ink

Letting Go

By victoriaserrano42 BRONZE, Niles, Illinois
victoriaserrano42 BRONZE, Niles, Illinois

If you had someone close to you that you adored, and loved, would you let them go? Would you hold on to them for the rest of your life or move on? Letting go of my dad was the hardest thing life has made me come across. When you lose someone so close to you, you can't imagine life without them. You almost feel empty inside and like when you're falling no one is there to catch you.

I lost my dad at the age of 8 years old, and being so young I didn't really know what to expect. Losing him was as hard as trying to get out of quicksand. I felt helpless and I knew I wouldn't see my best friend ever again. It was like I was underwater and couldn’t breathe. I wasn't used to sirens and the flashing lights in my eyes made me feel like I was in the middle of a tv show.  I found myself lost for words when there was an ambulance and policemen throughout my house. I was confused and I kept saying to myself “Daddy is just sleeping he will wake up soon”. Well I was wrong. Losing a parent at such a young age is extremely rough because you have just that one parent that has to support you through, and with everything you do. Months went by after my dad passing away. I went to school and things were extremely weird. I kept hearing “Are you okay?”. A few times an hour by my teachers. I didn't realize what it would be like until so many people cared.

My dad always taught me growing up to be a tough little girl. I handled things the way at the age of 8 the same way a 14 year old would. That's just how my dad raised me and was there for me.  My dad was a football coach for about 5 years and was the heart and soul of the field and the team. He was loved by many people. My dad was recognized mostly everywhere he went. He wasn’t recognized for what he looked like, or how much money he had. My dad was loved for what he did. He spent hours on the field and caring for the players like his own kids. He loved everyone and he loved what he did. My dad would normally take me to cheerleading practice, and would always take me and my mom and brother to dinner on fridays. My dad was my biggest supporter aside of my mom. I still did cheer for a few years after he passed away. At one of our competitions at state, at the Sears center our team won first. One of my teammates dads came up and picked her up and hugged her. I just looked at my mom and she already knew what I was feeling. That feeling of wanting someone to see you accomplish something big and they aren't there to share that moment with you. My dad was recognized mostly everywhere he went. He wasn’t recognized for what he looked like, or how much money he had. My dad was loved for what he did. He spent hours on the field and caring for the players like his own kids. He loved everyone and he loved what he did.

As time passed by , there wasn't a day when the thought of my dad went through my head. He was always on my mind. Events passed by, family parties, things that he's missed out on, and would be 10x better with him there. Every 3 years my dad’s side of the family has a family reunion in some other state. We do it each year for my dad. All my family comes in from Puerto Rico, Florida, New York, Ohio and we all stay in houses. We all come together, and we do it each year so the family doesn't break apart or lose touch or communication. Even though he's not there with us in person, we know he's there. Whenever my dad would take me and my brothers to our family to all see each other, my dad was always the person to make things just more happier. He lifted spirits and just always put a smile on your face. I wish there was a thing that existed where you could bring someone back and tell them how much they meant to you or just to say goodbye for the last time. I didn't expect my dad to be gone the next morning. When I was having dinner with my dad that night, and said goodnight to him I never thought it would of been my last time. When you always think about it you just have to be strong and happy because that person is in a better place. Even though my dad isn't with me here in existence I know he's always with me and in my heart. It's just like taking one step at a time.

As time has gone by, it's been 8 years. Growing up with just one parent was just about the hardest thing I have ever went through. I've learned that my dad would still want me to be strong for him, and happy. This paper was supposed to be on a decision that you had to make. When it was about 4 full years after my dad passed away, I chose to let go and just not be sad all the time. I'm not saying I just chose to let go of my dad and forget about him. I just thought that my life would be a lot better if I always had happy thoughts about him, and not just thinking of that one awful morning. I chose to let myself be happy and I know my dad is too. Till this day I still think of him everyday and I love him with all my heart. Losing someone as close to you as your parents is extremely hard, but learning to move on and let him go made me the person I am today.

Simile - I used the simile of losing my dad as getting out of quicksand to show how hard it was, and how not having him in my life made me feel empty at that time. I also liked including that because it makes you think how hard it actually is in real life to get out of quicksand because, it's like once you get in you can't really get out.

Repetition- I kept repeating in certain areas how my dad brought a smile to others faces, and how he loved everything and everyone around him. I said about 3 times just to remind the reader how much he was actually known and remembered. Of course my dad wasn't some famous movie star, but in my eyes he was well known to me in the town we used to live in.

Vivid Imagery- I used the part of my paper when I was in the middle of my house when 911 was called, and when I was thinking in my head what was going to happen. Its showing the image of a little girl with things surrounding her and trying to actually find out if her dad was going to wake up or not.

I miss my dad with all my heart and this paper shows how much he actually means to me.