So Close Yet So Far | Teen Ink

So Close Yet So Far

May 3, 2017

There were a thousand feeling racing through my head. My feelings ranged from happiness, fear, joy, shocked, all the feelings bundled up in one. It had been a while since I saw him. It had been four months; which I know wasn’t long but from seeing him daily to not seeing him at all two months is a long time. I had moved from my hometown to a place that's an hour away which meant I wouldn't be able to see him during the week due to school. My only option was to see him on the weekend or any day we both didn't have school. Our schedules were both so full of things. I thought I'd never see him.


Sure enough one day my family decided to go back to my hometown for a family party. I was not only excited for the party but I thought I'd have the chance to see him. We got dressed and we're ready to leave, we made the hour drive there but it actually turned into a one and a half hour drive because of traffic. We got to the party late which made us all pretty fussy for having been late.


Once we got there it was around 8:20 pm which was super late but it was fine everyone understood. As it got later and later my chances of seeing him got slimmer and slimmer and I had given up hope on seeing him that day. I was feeling a bit bummed out because I was hoping on seeing him, even if it was for a minute. I expressed my feelings to him and he was feeling sad too. We were so close yet so far away, no words can explain the disappointment I had and how bummed out I was feeling.


It was around 11:00 pm and he texted me the words “Get ready” and I was clueless as to what he was saying. I had no idea of what was going on or why he said get ready. As a couple minutes went by he then preceded to text me “Come to the front” and then that was the moment I realized he was here. He was in the front waiting for me, he was physically here!


I'd waited for four months for this moment. The moment where I can just run up to him and hug him and just hold him in my arms. I was too nervous to go out I couldn't grasp the idea of him actually being there. I finally opened the door and there he was, once my eyes laid eyes on him I was speechless. It was as if time stopped, every second felt as if it were minutes. I was just about ready to run up and hug him but I couldn't move. I tried to walk towards him but my body took control and just stood there frozen. I hadn't seen him for four months I didn't know what to do. Should I hug him? Should I cry? Should I kiss him? What should I do?


Finally, I found myself walking towards him and I was just excited to finally hug him. Once I hugged him it was as if it were all back to normal, like if i hadn't moved away. Like if I hadn't left him in the first place, it just felt normal. I started crying while we were hugging and he didn't know why, I didn't know how to explain to him that I was crying because I missed him that much. Sleepless nights of me crying and thinking of when I'd get to see him again just all disappeared, because there I was holding the one I loved the most. That was the closest I've been to him in months and it was the best night I've had since I moved. And that is why we always say “We were so close yet so far away…”