Don't Give Up | Teen Ink

Don't Give Up

April 14, 2017
By Anonymous

"My dad broke my heart before any boy did."

This quote accurately describes me. My father, my old man, broke my heart at a young age. I can't really tell when. Maybe it was when he grabbed me by the shirt, and threw me. Or maybe it was when he almost dragged me out of the car. Oh there was much more that he did, but it's hard to explain in writing. Showing you would be much easier. But, my dear old dad, even after everything, I still loved you. Sure I hated you in that moment, but so would anybody. I'm sorry for the hurtful things I said to you, but I wouldn't take it back. You ripped my heart in half, stitched it back together, then ripped it again. You picked me up, then spit me out, like i was a...chew toy. The moments that I relished was when I visited my mother. Her boyfriend treated me like a daughter than you'd ever had. But then...it started to get hard over there too. My mom and I were arguing ever day, every hour, every minute it seemed like. I just wanted it to be over. I was at a very dark period in my life. I was going through my awkward puberty faze. We've all had it. Pimples, the voice, you know, the works. I was cutting. Every night. I was close to dying. But it got better. You can't just give up. You have to see that there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel. Everyone says this, but they say it because it's true.


The author's comments:

I wrote this because I want other suicidal teens to think before they act, and to find an outlet where they can do something, and think about something else. The suicide prevention hotline provides help 24/7 which is completly confidential