The Good in the Bad | Teen Ink

The Good in the Bad

April 13, 2017
By JazzmanianDevil BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
JazzmanianDevil BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I was just 5 years old my parents told me the worst news of my life. They sat my brother Luis and I down in the living room of our small duplex at the time and said that they had decided to get a divorce.At the time I was too young to understand why or what was really going on but now at 15 I know that sometimes things just don't work out between people even if you do love each other. In the days following I became extremely depressed,it was very hard to be with only one of my parents at a time and hard getting used to not seeing my parents together anymore. It was extremely hard for me to accept what happened even the years that followed. I thought that it was the worst thing that could have ever possibly happened to me when in reality it wasn't.

Roughly 4 years after the divorce both of my parents ended up remarrying,and because of this I was introduced to two completely new and different families filled with all these great people that over time I grew to love just like my parents families. Although completely different on both sides I got to meet these amazing people that were extremely welcoming and treated me as their own. I started bonding with everyone from all sides of the family and now feel comfortable talking to them because of how easy they made it by being so generous and caring.Every year they all wish me a happy birthday,a merry christmas and buy me gifts on both,even though that's not what family is about it shows how they have accepted me and taken me in as their own when they didn't have to.

Although being introduced into two new families was great for me,the most beneficial and `good thing I gained from my parents divorce was easily my relationship with my brother Luis. Luis and I are very different when it comes to many things and I admit,we do fight a lot,but when it really comes down to it we are extremely close. We probably have the best brother and sister relationship out of anyone I know. I see luis all the time because he goes with me to my mom's house when it's her day,and he's always with me at my dads,so we spend a lot of time together. As a result, we have grown extremely close and comfortable with each other, I can talk Luis about anything and he tells me everything about him or what's going in his life,even more than he tells our parents.Although to many people it seems odd having a brother and sister so close for me its normal,thats what im used to because he's my only 100% biological sibling and i've spent my entire life with him. Even though we may argue a lot,my brother is always there for me to help me through my problems, he is someone that I trust and can confide in when I need to and that wouldn't be the case if my parents had never gotten a divorce.

Many people are under the impression that divorces are completely awful and change your life for the worst and although this may be true even through the dark times of a divorce good is always able to come out of it.I experienced this in my situation and still am 10 years later. However this doesn't just apply in a case of a divorce,In life there are times where we find ourselves going through a hard time,but even in these times that were having a bad day,or week or even a bad month a little bit good can always come from the bad.