The Break In | Teen Ink

The Break In

March 11, 2017
By Willow.trees BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
Willow.trees BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some times you just need to move all your furniture and get acquainted with the floor


My friends and I have always been forgetful from time to time when we were younger. We’d forget pool passes, lunches and sneakers for gym when it was a concert day. Looking back, I cringe at how often I would forget the small things. But one time we made the mistake of forgetting a detail of epic proportions. Now I look back on it and laugh glad that no one caught us that day. The event happened years ago when we were in the 3rd or 4th grade. That day started out fine. It was a nice day out and my sister, my friends and I thought it was a good idea to play outside. My friends, Katelyn and Christine, lived two houses down from us. That day was just a normal day we played outside mostly in the front yards of our houses and along the block. We were in the front yard of my house when we all thought it was a good idea to go inside and get a snack. Eating and watching cartoons, we ended up staying inside for a good hour. When we came back outside we noticed that car from Katelyn and Christine’s house was gone meaning that their mom had run out and their dad had gone to work already. It was then that Christine, forgetting the keys inside the house, remembered that both her parents wouldn’t be back until it was dark and they had to go home. That was when we all realized they had been locked out their house and it was getting dark. So instead of waiting, or doing something even remotely sensible, our creative little minds thought it would be a good idea to get them inside by breaking in. Technically wasn’t really breaking in because we didn’t break anything and technically they lived there.  For a moment we all stood there. To get into the house, we figured we'd use the front window! Looking around, to make sure no was watching we got to work.


First, Courtney and I locked our hands cheer leader style to give Christine a leg up to the window. However we were all short and had almost no strength so that didn’t work. Then it dawned on us that they had an outdoor table set with chairs. Taking one of the chairs and squeezing it behind the bushes, we were able to get it under the window. I held down the chair and waited as the window was opened from the outside and they both climbed inside. Once they were inside they thanked us for our help.  We put the chair back and went home. The lesson learned that day was that there are many ways to solve a problem.


The author's comments:

My name is Willow and I'm from New York. Just the thought of past spring adventures helped me write this piece