Pilot's Naptime | Teen Ink

Pilot's Naptime

When I was young, 10 years old with less than a week until my birthday, my parents decided that we would go on a trip to Disney World. I was very excited to not only spend a week in Disney World but also to fly on a plane for the first time. The trip to the airport was rather slow as I began to think about what the flight would be like. Ludicrous ideas drifted through my mind of the plane doing stunts like a loop da loop or a barrel roll. The excitement inside of me kept building as we checked our bags in and went through security. We arrived at our gate to see all the other passengers awaiting the plane. Every time a plane would drive by I would ask if it was the plane we were going to fly in. My mom would reply with a “No” as fast as I asked. After about half an hour of waiting a plane finally pulled up to our gate and let people off. My parents began to pull out our tickets to wait for our row to be called when an announcement came from the desk. “There will be a slight delay for boarding due to the pilot having been flying for too long and it is mandatory that he take a rest. We will be having a new pilot here in just a few hours. Thank you.” At this moment I sighed and sat back down. My hopes to finally get on a plane had been stalled for a few hours. I thought to myself “a few hours isn’t that long” but after about 10 minutes I realized it was going to be a long “few hours”. To occupy myself during this time, I decided to write a story about my airport experience for my 5th grade teacher when I got back. I filled 4 entire pages, front and back, with writing. By the time I was done writing this it was about 12:30p.m. and our plane was supposed to leave at 11:00 a.m., so we had already been delayed for an hour and a half. My family and I decided to go and grab some lunch. By the time we had finished it had been another hour and there was still no sign of the pilot coming to take us to Florida. Then, another announcement from the desk at about 2:00pm: “We apologize for the delay and any inconvenience that has been caused by this unfortunate incident, and we regret to inform you that no other pilot will be coming and that we will have to wait for the previous pilot to return from his mandatory 8 hour rest.” I was very upset because I would have to wait another 5 hours to finally fly in a plane. After that I decided to pull out my Nintendo DS and play on that for a while. After what might have been an hour or two I remember falling asleep and waking up at 4:30pm with my enthusiasm refueled from the nap. When the plane finally showed up they ran some checks on the plane, and they finally let us board for takeoff.