A Little More Than a Scrape | Teen Ink

A Little More Than a Scrape

By Jul3z BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Jul3z BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

I broke his jaw, just ran him over completely. He got stitches in his chin, arm, and got his lip stuck to his braces. On this day in the Summer of 2015 things were going pretty good. I had spent the night at my Aunt’s house with all my cousins. We played a 3v2 football game until dark to come in to eat dinner around nine or ten. In the morning we’d all wake up around 9. My aunt would leave for work around 10 or 11, while we would stay home. With there being a total of 7 kids in the house, there will always be some type of problem or conflict. Around about three we were going go to the park where there was three basketball hoops, a merry-go-round, a sandbox and two playgrounds, and they were all just walking distance away. We were headed there to play a game of 2v3 basketball, until someone catches a little attitude and doesn’t want to play. That’s where it all started to go downhill, literally.

Everyone by that point was a little heated so we thought we go cool off. My younger cousins Michael and Jake thought it would be okay to just hop on their bikes and just ride off. Then after a second we realized they were gone, Jayden the third oldest went to go find them. Nobody even told Jayci, the one who was in charge. Joey, Jackson and I were the only one’s left in the house. We decided to go on a bike ride. The bikes were stored in the garage. We took off to go ride around, we rode down Miller Avenue which is the street we lived on, then from there rode all the way by Forsythe Middle School on Newport Road. On Newport road there is a huge hill that spits us back on Miller. We stopped to talk to each other and said “Hey, you guys wanna race down this hill?” So we did it, we had to gain our momentum first so we started back a little. By the time we were at the top of the hill we were going really fast, I felt like I was going 100 mph. With Joey in the front, me behind, and Jackson in the back we were zooming downhill, but by the time we were about to hit the halfway mark Joey spun out of control. He ran into some rocks on the side of the sidewalk, he immediately smacked the ground. With me directly behind him and a 0% chance of me being able to stop in time not to hit him, I ran him over. I just completely ran him over, I did a front flip off my bike.

As soon as Jackson saw this he immediately braked in time not to hit anyone. When we all stood up Jackson and I looked at Joey, bleeding mouth, chin, arm, but me I had sustained maybe a cut or two. A woman ran from across the street because she had saw the whole thing. She brought us into her home. She asked if I was okay, I was fine, I was more concerned about Joey. Jackson and I went outside with the woman’s husband to check out the bikes. The bike Joey was riding had a bent rim on the front tire, there was no way we could fix that. At that moment we knew we had to call someone, that’s when I felt as if my heart fell to the center of the earth, that feeling you get when you know you’re in trouble.  We called my dad, my aunt, my grandpa, nobody answered.
Finally we got ahold of my aunt Jamie, we told her what happened. She left work to come get Joey to take him to urgent care. My Aunt loaded the broken bike into her car, Jackson and I rode home, or were going to, when he stopped he slammed the brakes so hard the brakes locked up. So we were stuck to walk. On the way home it was almost as if I had to force myself to walk home. When we got there we all got yelled at.  I got sent home, Joey was left with a broken jaw, stitches in his chin, and his arm.  I never rode with them again.

This is a story of how I ran over my cousin.