Love at First Sight | Teen Ink

Love at First Sight

By kstamper BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
kstamper BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

Being a teen mother is the last thing I thought would ever happen to me. I only thought this because not only was I too focused on school, social life, and boys but I was terrified of giving birth. I mean that video they show you in health about giving birth terrifies everyone doesn’t it? The thought of not only gaining weight and ruining your perfect body figure but having the responsibility of being a mother as well, is pretty scary.

I remember when I first found out I was pregnant, I was 15 and not ready for the consequences. My father was so disappointed that he didn’t talk to me for about a month and my mother was angry but she couldn’t really say anything because she had me at a young age as well. Soon they began to accept the fact that there was no changing what had happened and we just would have to deal with it.

We kept it a secret for the time being but some snotty kid decided he was going to spread the word, whether he was right or wrong, just because when he asked if I was pregnant I wouldn’t answer him. Soon everyone found out, rumors were spread throughout the high school and fake friends came rolling in by the minute. I was so overwhelmed with the popularity, this wasn’t who I was at all. Every second I had alone I was thankful for because I wasn’t the type to be friends with everyone. I practically hated everyone but a select few and to have people hounding me throughout the hall ways and in class was very aggravating.

As my stomach began to get bigger life had gotten more complicated. I struggled on the stairs a lot but I wasn’t going to take the elevator to every class, in fact I don’t recall ever using the elevator. I wanted to be healthy and I didn’t want the weight. As high school came to an end it was soon time for the baby to come. After having him I was on maternity leave and still keeping up with my classes. This was very difficult but I managed.

After a few weeks went by everyone stopped paying as much attention to me as they used to. I was so relieved but soon new rumors formed. Apparently I was pregnant again and apparently I was a whole completely different person. I didn’t even know these things about myself to be honest (laughing inside).  I mean come on why would someone say that?but anyways I really didn’t care what they had to say because I didn’t have to prove anything to anyone and I sure wasn’t going to.

The first time I held my son in my arms I realized exactly what love at first sight actually was, I wanted to be stuck in that moment for the rest of my life. My son is full of beauty and full of life. He is my top priority, his future is now in my hands. Nothing matters anymore, nothing but what he needs and what I need to do to get him those things. My son has a future and he’s depending on me to support him all the way. I love my son and even though I’m a teenager I’ll continue to do my best to never let him down. I’ve accepted my role as a teen mother and a proud teen mother is what I’ll be.