My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

February 4, 2017
By Kassidey SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Kassidey SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Not all who wander are lost."


It was September 2013 when I found out my sister was pregnant. I did not know that her baby would be my best friend.  I was in fifth grade and scared of becoming an aunt, because I didn’t know what to say if they ever needed advice. I’m going to be the worst aunt ever, I thought hopelessly.  As time went by, we were excited for the delivery for the new addition to our family. Every day we did something a little more to prepare ourselves like: buy baby clothes, a crib and a car seat.  The time had come for the new baby to be born. I was at school that day so I was not able to see it until after school when I went with my nephews godmother.


When I arrived at the hospital I didn’t know what to expect. I walked in and saw everyone surrounding the baby, which my sister named Keegan (after a Pretty Little Liars cast member). The first time I saw him I knew he would soon mean the world to me.  He was crying so loud it sounded like thunder during a thunderstorm.  If I hold him will he cry more? I thought nervously as he was getting passed to me.  As soon as I started holding him, everything stopped. It was like  everything was in slow motion. He looked at me with a big smile and stopped crying.


After awhile I gave him to his grandmother because I was still a bit cautious of the whole baby thing. After everyone visited and it was time to leave, I gave him a big hug and kiss and thought I will do everything I can for you. When we went back home my mom started posting pictures of him all over Facebook.  I went to sleep and then went to school the next day telling all my friends of the new addition to my family. He was already my best friend and he was only a day old.


As time went on, he grew up faster then time itself. Keegan is a small, adorable devil child that I wouldn’t trade for anything. Yes, I do miss the days when he was a little baby and I could hold him all day long without him running away or kicking me. But, I would not trade the moments I have with him. I can still remember the first time he ever tried saying my name. Its kind of like a song on repeat because it means something. The first time he tried saying my name he said, “Kiki.” Keegan is like a ray of sunshine on a dark cloudy day.  When I’m sad he always know how to make me happy.  I try and do the same for him when he is sad. 


From all the nicknames of Kiki, Kass princess and Silly Kass he is by far my best friend.  Although he may use my razor to scrap poop of a rug or take my phone out of my pocket and hide it and tell me that it’s “somewhere.”  He is the best gift I’ve ever received.  Keegan may not have been brought to this world for me but he is definitely a huge part of my life.  From cheering me on at my games to acting like a cheerleader at night just to “be like Kass’ is one of the sweetest things you could ever have.


I don’t know what I’d do without my nephew, I though while we were standing in my kitchen jamming out to Baby by Justin Bieber and listening to him scream Baby as though he knew the whole song.   Keegan gets on my nerves all the time, but we only tease the ones we love. Right?  I can’t wait for the day when my nephew grows up because that I realized I taught him everything he needs to know.


Keegan may call me and say, “Hi Kass princess.” He says, “You come down here and play with me.”


I respond sadly and say, “I can’t sorry, Keegan, I am doing homework.”


He desperately responds, “Please Kiki. I miss you.”


I forcefully respond, “I’m sorry Keegan, I’m really busy.”


There are many reasons Keegan is the best gift I’ve ever gotten. The number one reason is because he is my best friend and he also knows how to cheer me up when I’m down. He is my nephew, best friend, and a blessing to my life.


The author's comments:

This piece is about my nephew who I love dearly.