Pinstripes and Camo | Teen Ink

Pinstripes and Camo

January 20, 2017
By Anonymous

The day could not have been any more normal. The sky was blue, the sun was out, and the day was moving along slowly. The neighborhood was very quiet, but little did everyone else know our family had to say goodbye to a family member today. A family member who we would most likely not talk to for about a year, and most likely would not see again until his wedding (which is in a year). My brother, a Special Forces officer in the army, is being deported to Syria today, and my family and I did not know how to react. He’s been in training for over two years, and once getting used to that we realized he was safe, but now he really is going to foreign countries where war is occurring. It couldn’t be anymore real than today.


I remember my family and I all went down to Georgia to see him during his special forces training. We were all out to breakfast and he was telling some of the few appropriate training stories (because my little sister was listening). He was telling us how ridiculous his General treated them. He said one night a fellow cadet did not put his rifle away correctly, so after a 36 hour compass hunt in the woods, the general woke them up during their sleep. He then proceeded to bring them all outside and make them run around the four-mile lake making “choo-choo” train noises all night. Although this was very funny too me, what was unfortunate is that my brother explained how this was the easiest thing the general made them do during the night. I found all of his stories so enticing, especially because he talked about all of it like a joke because he really did love it.  I especially loved when he was telling us how this one general in charge would sneak him Yankee game statistics or just whether or not they won the night before. He was a huge Yankee fan, and since throughout his training he had no contact to the outside world, learning whether the Yankees won the night before was like gold to him. He said he just loved to know that our world is still going on without him. Because he knew my dad and I were checking every Yankee game we could watch, so he said it was almost like indirect contact with us.


We were sure now than ever that he was 100% committed to the army because he was minutes from leaving to fight for our country.  He was carrying his rucksack on his back, his duffle bag in hand, and in full uniform before leaving for the airport. And of course, he was wearing his navy blue Yankee hat. I never know what to say to a loved one who is leaving for a year with quite possibly no contact until then. Probably because this is the only time I’d ever have to do that.  So instead, I said nothing, I embraced him for as long as I could until it seemed too much, then said goodbye. My whole family was pretty much crying, especially my mom, but I wasn’t. Mainly because that is not something my brother would’ve done, but also because I knew I’d see him again.


I couldn’t even begin to think of the possibility of not seeing him again. Instead I was simply very proud of him. Saying goodbye to him seemed like it led me to grow up about 10 years in one minute. I’d done everything he’d taught me, acted properly, and confident, and didn’t let anyone else know I was upset. Yet, just because that's how they act in the military doesn’t mean I wasn’t dying inside. I didn’t want him to leave; he was one of my best friends, and my role model. Life just felt very off when I couldn’t talk to him about my problems, or couldn’t ask for his advice. Yet, this situation really led me to mature, and act okay to show my sisters everything would be okay. Everyone grows up at different times in life, yet sending my best friend off to war definitely signified my maturity. My brother has taught me many lessons throughout our relationship, yet the biggest lesson could’ve been learning to live without him by making decisions and fixing my problems on my own.


After sending him off to Syria, I realized how lucky I was to have an example like the one he sets. Many people work hard to exemplify their older siblings, yet I try harder to simply live like my older brother. He found a passion and a career that he loves, which results in him never having to work a day in his life. I don’t know when I’ll find something I’m this passionate about, but I know I won’t stop looking until I feel like my brother does at “work”. He has shown me to work as hard as possible at everything in life until I’m living the electric lifestyle I’d desire. Everyone is scared that he is crossing our world to fight in a war, but he could not be more excited. I’d strive my whole life until I find a career that I am that excited to go to every day.


The author's comments:

The theme can be really one of two things within this life event. The overall theme of saying goodbye to my brother is truly that everyone grows up at some point in their lives and loses their innocence. I believe this was that moment for me when I had to act stronger and more mature than I actually was to show my brother I was proud and my little siblings that it would be okay. The other important lesson taught from my brother is to work as hard as possible until you are truly living your “dream”, and if you find that dream job “you’ll never work a day in your life”. Just as the cliché goes, work hard to find your true passion so you can pursue that the rest of your happy life. The symbol in the story is the Yankees and the Yankee hat because it symbolizes the bond I share with my brother. It also symbolizes the constant indirect contact with my brother, and the fact that he is living a healthy life wherever he is in the world.