To Blacken an Eye | Teen Ink

To Blacken an Eye

January 11, 2017
By Zontoa BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
Zontoa BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ah, 5th grade. Isn't awful? Like mind twistingly awful? I went to a brick and mortar school back in those days, a small one. The school wasn't all bad. In fact, it might have been a decent school. Except for one thing, The bullies. While I wasn't ever really a target for bullying,(Ill get to that I a moment.) my friend often were. I generally wasn't bothered for two reasons: My siblings, and Meatloaf Thursdays. Those may sound just random, but stick with me. My siblings, while not often with me throughout the school day, often provided indirect relief from the bullies. My family has always been a fighting for fun kind of family, which means everyone, including myself, are mostly tougher then everyone else. My siblings names were feared throughout the school, and bullies didn't like the thought of angering one of them. Also, meatloaf Thursdays, were just the best. Well, to me. Everyone in 5th grade hated the meatloaf, and I mean everyone, but me. The problem was that you couldn't just throw the meatloaf away. You had to eat it, or you could give it to some one who wanted it. Of course, since I was the only person who liked it, everyone wanted to give it to me. However, I could say no. Then the person had to eat the meatloaf. I probably would have attacked a bully, if they had bullied me, or I like to think so. However, when the last of my siblings moved to the highschool, the bullies began to try to peck at me. The first one to do so, Asypen, was just a annoyance at first, until one day she walked up and pinched me at lunch. It wasn't a terrible pinch, but the altercation, made it look like I was in a fight. I was called up to the principles shortly afterward. As I marched down the hall, I had an wonderful plan. A terrible, wonderful, plan. I pinched myself the entire way to principles office. Was I got there, Mr. V.C., the principle, started yelling at me, screaming and telling me that I would be in big trouble. I slowly said: "Excuse me, Mr.Sir, I think you have the wrong person." "Is that so? I don-" I lifted my sleeve and revealed the mangled mass that was my arm. Asypen was called up to the office right away. I walked away, with the principles apologies and a sucker for my troubles. Ah, it felt good, taking down a bully. As the year went on, I slowly turned a boy named Ethan away from being a bully, and helped bring down a bully named Landon. Landon had punched a boy named Easton, in the gut, and gotten Easton sent to the principles. However, the principle wouldn't listen to us as we tried to tell him Landon had done it. A intelligent young man named Jason made a petition to go around, and almost the entire 5th grade signed it. Easton was released and Landon was in serious trouble. However, no one had even touched the big man himself, Thomas. This guy was some serious trouble. I mean, he practically had his own gang. His cronies followed him everywhere, and he had never been caught even though everyone knew he had done it. One day, right around the end of the year, Thomas made a wrong move. He and his cronies went after me. I was staying after school to finish a book, and Thomas started taunting me. I ignored it, so he grabbed my book and threw it away. I stood up and shoved Thomas away, I then turned to get my book. Thomas pulled my hair and punched me a few times. However, Compared to my siblings, these punches where nothing. I couldn’t handle it. It was ridiculous! Who says he gets to act like this? NOT ME! I turned, punching him right in the eye. All of his cronies, claimed I had over reacted, and said they would whoop me. I grabbed one and asked if he wanted the same order that Thomas got. This caused them all to back off. As I walked away, I noticed a small scrap of paper and I picked it up. It was Thomas's grades for the year. Most of them were D+s and C-s and a few Fs here and there. "My my Thomas, we have been naughty, haven't we." Thomas, clearly confused, asked me what I meant. I held up the grading card.

 

-End


Note: I later befriended a friendly change Thomas, and while we no longer see each other, it was a nice friendship. Landon learned how to tell jokes and reformed, and some of those jokes were pretty dang funny. Aspen never changed, and was later expelled. And Meatloaf Thursdays were cancelled after I left in 6th grade. 


The author's comments:

My name is Race. I am now 14, and look back on this story and others.

It was a school that was mostly ok, but it had a bully problem that largely was undealt with. 

I am not encouraging fighting in school, but I think siblings are fair game, right? Right? ;)