Ballet Lessons | Teen Ink

Ballet Lessons

By ChynahST BRONZE, Salt Lick, Kentucky
ChynahST BRONZE, Salt Lick, Kentucky

Let's do it for Johnny!

“5, 6, 7, 8…” the instructor counts. In my head I quickly anticipate the combination. Ok, so plié and straighten combré back I think to myself. You would think after 9 years this would be easy, but nope. It is still hard. I still get out of breath. And yes, I am still sore the next day when I stretch a little too far.
   When I was 5 years old I started something that would be a part of me forever. When my parents asked me if I wanted to take ballet, I don’t believe there was a happier kid on the planet. I couldn’t wait to start. At that age everything is so amazing, but that was more than just amazing. My parents bought me tights, my first leo (that’s dance slang for a leotard), and a pair of demi pointe shoes (or flat shoes).  I was ready. I was going to be a real ballerina. The drive to my first class seemed to take forever, but that gave me plenty of time to imagine everything. The building would be big and fancy and the costumes would be new, sparkly, and pink. However, when we got there it wasn’t exactly what I had pictured. My studio was an old run down building on Main Street of Winchester. It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There was never any warm water, and what water we did have had a rusty tint to it. Our costumes were hand me downs from older dancers that had been in past performances, and every dancer would have to take her turn of wearing them eventually. Nevertheless, it was all good. I was going to get to play around with other girls and dance on a stage; and that was all that mattered.
    In spite of my efforts of just trying to play and have a good time, I ended up learning a lot. From the start I learned positions, steps, and terms. Slowly, the foreign words, like arabesque and attitude, began to make sense, and I was able to translate them into steps and artistic sequences. Well, artistic in the mind of a 5 year old. Classes, recitals, and even a couple years passed, and technique became more difficult. Once the concept of a correct and incorrect way to execute a step was introduced, I began to realize that ballet was not just a game, and it was not just me playing on a stage. Instead, it is work. It is an art. And it is dedication. While I continued my dance career, I grew upon these things and was taught many other lessons beyond the steps and combinations, all of which have positively affected me as a person.
   One very important habit that dance has taught me is to always work hard. At my skill level, I am required to attend class four nights a week. Each class that I take ranges from a hour to two hours, and for every minute I’m there, I am expected to push myself to the limit. I’ve been taught to never settle for less than my personal best and to always strive for more. When something is hard or hurts, I make myself push through and never give up. Outside of ballet this is very important because life isn’t always easy. With advanced classes, school doesn’t come as easy any more; sometimes I don’t want to continue with my stubborn algebra homework, but I do. I know that if I just give up, I will never get better and I will always be stuck in a situation of not being able to do something I need to know how to do. Personally, I try not to hinder myself in any way, so that the only other option is to grow and better myself.
   Another lesson dance has taught me is discipline. In ballet you are never perfect. You are always taking corrections and learning harder variations of steps. Afterwards, it is your job to apply what the instructor tells you to do and to continue practicing. In life, it is important to always listen to helpful advice so that you can grow as a person. And when we mess up, it’s important to face the consequences and make better decisions later.
   Most importantly, ballet has taught me respect. While all my teachers are all wonderful people that I love and look up to, there are times when I become annoyed and aggravated by them. However, I always remind myself that they are just doing their jobs to make me the best I can be, and I have to accept their authority. In life, this is important because there will always be someone above you giving you instruction. For example, as a teenager, I have teachers that tell me what to do and it is my job to do as they say to get through school with good grades. Respect is also something you have to give to earn. Therefore, if I want others to be nice and treat me right, I have to do the same.
   We often think that life is just a combination that we can anticipate and then execute flawlessly. However, even more often we slip and fall and have to do it again from the top. The lessons I’ve learned in ballet are important ones that are applicable beyond my small studio and available to more than just dancers.  While it is definitely true that ballet is a great way to get physically stronger, it is also an excellent way to strengthen one’s personality and affect one’s overall attitude (and I don’t mean just  the dance step).

This piece is about personal lessons I learned in dance class.