Shooting for Glory | Teen Ink

Shooting for Glory

By DavyBramer GOLD, Rolla, Missouri
DavyBramer GOLD, Rolla, Missouri

I pull off my covers zoom outside and open the garage door. I wipe the crust out if my eyes, My bare cold feet press against the garage floor.

“Well, Davy, today is the day that you will ride your bike on your own.” Dad said

Suddenly start thinking of all the possible things I could do with no training wheels:

As I stood there then had a flash back when I first got the bike it was my fifth birthday ,and I didn’t really ride my bike that much at the time, now my bike is a dust collector , but today I hope to ride my bike and turn that dust collector of mine into a real piece of art.

A rumbling tornado whirls up in my stomach as a nervous blush of air hits my face.

If I wanted to ride my bike I would first have to take some precaution, and by precaution I mean by Dad teaching me how to ride my bike.

“Just hop on, balance your self and start riding.” Dad said

“It’s not that easy” I said to Dad

I really didn’t know if I should just get on like dad said. It didn’t really seem that simple I honestly didn’t want to try it. Wisps of cold wind attacks my face as bits of sweat trickle off my fingers. It was all about commitment to me. I really wanted to try, but I was afraid of falling.

I finally urged myself hop on my bike and just balance myself with both of my feet. This made me feel a lot more comfortable with my bike, because the only way I could ride my bike was if I would know how it would feel with no training wheels.

Later that day I finally got the feel of my bike I would slowly push myself forward, then Dad would give me a little nudge every time I was moving on my bike.

To me this was a big accomplishment, not yet actually riding my bike it still made me feel even more comfortable than before.

Thought out the day, I would keep trying to ride my bike. I couldn’t really understand why my six year old self would not comply and ride the bike. The sun was still shinning and that’s all that mattered. I then had a moment of anger and nervousness, I would just let myself go  I would fall over. The one big thing that dad told me is that I have to have commitment, I couldn’t just barely ride my bike. I had to ride my bike for real.

A few minutes later, I hopped on my bike and started peddling faster and faster. I was finally free. Me and my bike. No more training wheels. More help; it was my time to shine. Dad cheered whooped.

That day I learned that there is always hope, I should never give up and always keep trying. Things can be difficult the first time you do them, but there is always a chance for you to achieve