The Pitch | Teen Ink

The Pitch

THis book goes through the struggles of me trying to propose a new ¨class¨ to my boss.

Chapter 1: Lets do this

I walked up the the stairs looking at the game posters on the wall, “Huh haven't seen this one before they must of get some new ones” I whisper to myself as I look at a poster for “Overwatch”. I push open the metal door with a sign on it that reads “Game-U were kids make games!” and walk into the small building, I walk up to Lori the manager of the building “Hey how's it going Lori.” “Good nice to see you again Steven mike is waiting in the class for you.” she tells me. “Okie dokey artichokey” I reply with a smirk on my face. I walk over to the closed door of the classroom and open it to see mike sitting at one of the four Apple computers. He looks up and says “Hey Steven right on time five thirty.” “Yeah, so what are you working on their.” “Oh nothing just setting up for my next class, so what did you want to talk to me about?” “Umm, I wanted to talk to you about a idea for a class.” I said with discourage, “Oh, well alright let's hear it.” I tell him my idea for the class, and he looked liked he liked it. He gave me some feedback about maybe how it could be better, and then I leave, “that is it for now” I say to myself as I exit the classroom too see Lori has left and her computer was shut down. I look at the time on my watch “six fifteen!” I say “I did not think I was in there that long.” I text my parents to come pick me up to drive me home and when they get here I jump in the backseat of the car and we drive home.

That night when I went to sleep all I could think about if he REALLY liked the idea that I gave him, not just “yeah sure Steven thats a good idea I mean it's never going to happen but sure it's a good idea.” I stare at the ceiling of my bedroom watching my fan go round and round thinking about the class, how I would teach it, who would help me, what I would need for it. “This can be life changing.” I thought to myself.

Through the rest of the week all I could think about was if Mike liked the idea, ¨Did I present my idea right,¨ ¨Did I say everything I needed to say.¨ I even started being stressed (more than usually), but at the same time I was extremely excited that if I did get the class up and running all the fun I would have with it. I'm really weird like that i'm not into sports, or hanging out with my friends on the weekends, I like to have responsibilities, I like to have work.

The next week I walk into Game-U for my weekly class on game development. I walk up the stairs staring at the same posters I always see when I walk up the the door, ¨This is it, this is when I know if this is really going to happen, if i'm going to go from a student to a teacher.¨ I push open the door and walk into the small building of Game-U. I see Lori sitting in her normal spot behind her computer, ¨Hey Lori how's it going.¨ I say to her ¨Good, mikes waiting for you in the classroom¨ she replies. I slowly walked into the classroom, ¨Alright Steven you got this.¨ I say to myself. I walk into the room with a big smile on my face trying to act like I was happy and ready for this, I was expecting the worst because that's what probably was going to happen. ¨Hey Mike how's it going¨ I say with a smile on my face. ¨Good, so Steven I was thinking about what you said to me last week.¨ This is it, this is when he says it's not going to happen. “I think it was a good idea, and I want you to teach it.¨ he said grinning ¨Wait really? You really though it was a good idea.¨ I said with surprise. ¨Yeah I want you to teach it, can you start it next month.¨ He said.

For the next month I prepare and prepare, thinking about every lesson, learning everything I can on the topic, doing anything and everything I can to be the best person for the job.

When the day comes to were it's time to to teach my first class, I was not scared, I didn't feel unprepared. I was ready. I slowly open the door to the classroom with 10 students inside, and I walk in with a smile on my face as I new I was ready.

My teach gave me the idea to do this.