Unforgettable Moment | Teen Ink

Unforgettable Moment

December 5, 2016
By Anonymous

We gathered in front of the large TAPPS sign, outside the Sweeney High School Softball Stadium. Our parents and coaches pulled out their phones and cameras to capture this unforgettable moment. Our skin was glowing, and you could tell by our bronzed and slightly burnt skin, we had been out in the sun for quite a while. In our blue Charger visors, black jerseys, white pants, and our tall black socks, we figured out what silly poses we wanted to do for the picture. Some of us had our hands in there air, and some had our peace signs out. Almost all of us had different poses, but there was one thing we all had in common: excitement. You could see it, in all of our facial expressions. We were ecstatic.


“Hey dad, you will not believe what just happened,” I said in a dull, upset voice.
           

“What happened? How did the game go?” My dad asked in a curious yet confused voice.
           

“Well…” I paused, then sighed.
           

“We won! We are going to the state championship!”
           

“That is awesome! Congratulations!”
           

“Thank you! I am so excited! I cannot wait to see you and Mikey tomorrow!”
“Yes, we will see you then!


“We are about to go eat! I will talk to you when I get back to the hotel! I love you!”
“Okay! Have fun! I love you too-”

“Oh,” I interrupted. “Do not call and tell mom yet! I am going to call her now! I want to surprise her!”
“Okay! I will see you tomorrow!”
“Bye!”


We had just beat Brookhill, one of our biggest competitors. And tomorrow, in less than twenty-four hours, we would be playing in the state championship game. Not the district championship game, but the state championship game. Even though I had so much faith in my team and my coaches, and I knew we had the capability of making it this far, I could not believe it. It was absolutely unreal. Things like this do not happen all the time, and this was my first time experiencing the chance to be able to be on a team that would take place in a state championship game.


“Hey mom, we just got done playing,” I said in a mellow tone.
“How did yall do?” She asked with a hopeful voice.
“We just beat Brookhill!”
“That is awesome!”
“We won by one run!”
“That is great Kallie!”
“I am so excited.”


“I am excited for you! I am sorry I cannot make it to your game tomorrow, but your dad and brother will be there! I will be rooting for you guys from Dallas!”


“Yes ma’am, I wish you could come too! But that is okay! I will see you when we get back! Hopefully with a state championship medal!”

Not only would I be given this opportunity, but all of my friends would be, too. How much better could it get? Going to the state championship with all of your friends is something you see in the movies! If anything, I was truly blessed to have been a part of this team.


As I walked away from the loss of the state championship game, I talked to my dad. Tears slowly trickled down my sweaty face.


“You guys had an awesome season.”


“Yeah.”


“You made it all the way to the state championship. You only lost one game all season, including playoffs. That is pretty good if you ask me.”


“I know.”
“You guys did outstanding this season. You should be very proud.”


I heard the click of the trunk, as I watched it pop open. I placed my heavy bags inside it, and grabbed my blanket. I closed the trunk, and sat in the backseat. I sat in silence for quite a while. Out of nowhere, I started speaking my mind.


“I am not mad we lost the game. I am upset though. I just really wish we would have won.”
“You should not be. Kallie, you have to realize you all had an amazing season. Not many people can say they made it that far.”


“You are right. Instead of being upset over a state championship game, I should be grateful for the memories and the teammates I got to share it with.”


“Exactly! This will be something you will remember for the rest of your life!”

I  was thankful for many things. My teammates were the best. We always pushed each other. We had a very long season. When we had our first practice, it was cold and windy. By the time our season was coming to an end, the weather was very hot and humid. Some days, the weather was a struggle, but we got through it together.

Everyone worked hard, and encouraged one another constantly. “I cannot do it” or “I give up” was not a part of our vocabulary. No matter the odds, or thoughts of others, we always gave it our all: from hitting softballs on parts of the dugout, to singing chants and cheering each other on in the dugout, and on the field during games. In everything we did, we did it with all of our heart. Most importantly, we played for Christ. Of course we all wanted a state championship ring, but that was not what we had been playing for. We were all about Christ.
When I look back at that picture, my face lights up. It has been about six months since it all happened. When I look back at that picture, I get very excited; as if I am in the exact moment the picture was taken. There I am, surrounded by all my friends; laughing and cheering.  I am standing there with the biggest smile on my face. You are probably thinking, “What’s the big deal, it is just a picture.” It may be just another picture of a post game softball team to you, standing around with silly faces… but it is much more than that to me. It may be one picture, but it holds a large number of memories in my heart.  As Fredrick R. Barnard said, “A picture is worth a thousand words”.


When I look at that picture, I feel proud. I feel proud to have Chargers on my uniform. I feel proud to have awesome teammates, and wonderful coaches. I feel proud to have been able to make it so far during the season. I feel proud to have been a part of such an exciting season. Most of all, I am proud to have been a part of that unforgettable moment.