Pt. III: Genius | Teen Ink

Pt. III: Genius

December 2, 2016
By SenatorSwank SILVER, Aliso Viejo, California
SenatorSwank SILVER, Aliso Viejo, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Those who wave a flag of principle are often the first to burn it"


Genius.

Thinking, I believe, is a lot like panning for gold. The majority of the time you’ll get mud, rocks, and everything in between. However, if you’re lucky perhaps, you’ll strike it, you’ll see that shining flash of genius, and inspiration works like that, always an anomaly, a miracle willed into being by random actions of the mind. These thoughts are golden, they are what I have to offer the world, and any minute wisdom that they might offer I hope will help heal whoever reads their contents. A musician or artist may be underappreciated in their time, yet the ages remember their work, praising it decades later. Why?

Genius is inside everyone. It’s simply a matter of getting it out

There’s a story here: Michelangelo stared at a monolithic marble block in a workshop, the stone was considered freakish in nature, cut too large to work with, undesirable. The master observed it for days, months on end, obsessing over its nature, its quiet dominance, it’s voice speaking, screeching from underneath the surface, “Free me!”. What genius requires above anything else is a good listener.

Michelangelo heard, it spoke to him in the deepest recesses of his creativity. That stone became “David”, no, not really, the stone was David, he was always there. The sculptor simply freed him, and in the process freed himself.

We are both David and Michelangelo.