A New Experience | Teen Ink

A New Experience

By alexis1110 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
alexis1110 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

It was on one of July’s first evenings when my mom, brother, sister, and I headed to Amery, Wisconsin. We got on a bus and got to Juarez (a city near El Paso) the next morning. We crossed the bridge that connects the U.S and Mexico. Once we crossed the bridge we were in El Paso, Texas. A beautiful city, with all kinds of stuff. I saw things I had never seen before in Mexico.

The first thing I saw were very tall, glassy, buildings. I saw people that were different than others. They dressed differently, they talked differently and they acted differently. I was surprised because I thought that people from the U.S were only white and only spoke English. But I was wrong. There were all kinds of people. There were people that were different races, such as African-American, white (of course), Mexicans, and more.
We waited by the bus stop for a couple minutes. Then one of my mom’s friends, named Emma, that lived in El Paso, went to pick us up. On our way to her apartment, I found out that traffic here was the busiest I had ever seen! When we got to her apartment the first thing I thought about was to ask if they had a soccer ball. But then I stopped and thought about the question, because in Mexico people said that the only sport American people played was American football. Then I thought again and realized that Emma had a son named Rogelio that liked to play soccer. We went outside and took shots on a small goal for a little bit. Then we went in and I took a shower, ate cereal, and went to bed.

Everybody woke up early and got ready to leave to the airport the next day. Emma took us there. We waited about half an hour until it was time to go on the plane. It was the first time for my brother, sister, and I going on it. We were excited and nervous to see how it felt to be in the air thousands of feet off the ground. When the plane took off, I felt something weird in my stomach. It kind of tickled and felt like I had butterflies. I got the window side. So I could see everything. Even though I was about to go in sixth grade, I thought clouds were puffy just like cotton candy. But when I saw them, I realized that I was way wrong and they were made out of tiny, floating, water droplets. Also, when I looked down all I saw were squares and nothing else. Until we were almost arriving in Dallas, Texas. That’s when I saw very tiny cars and buildings.

When we arrived in Dallas, we got off and didn’t really know where to go. But a nice lady took us where we had to be. We waited about 20 minutes and then went on another plane. Except this time, we got the very back seats. There was a part of the airplane that was blocking the window and also made a loud noise that could make anybody want to rip out their ears. So what I did was sleep for almost the whole airplane ride. I was dreaming that I was playing a video game about airplanes that race. Then suddenly someone tapped my shoulder. It was one of the servers that woke me up to see if I wanted anything to drink.

It took us awhile but we finally got to Minneapolis. Where our uncle was waiting to pick us up. We got to his house in Maplewood and I went to sleep right away. The next morning an aunt from Amery, Wisconsin went to pick us up and brought us to her house. Then we rented an apartment for a while and then got a house.

I had never done a journey as long as this one. But it was worth it because I got to see new things I had never seen before. It was lots of fun and was a good experience. Now I’m leaving here, in Amery a nice, beautiful, small town. I would recommend people to take journeys because they can learn and experience things they haven’t before.