Papa Bowman | Teen Ink

Papa Bowman

November 30, 2016
By hs023 BRONZE, Hemet, California
hs023 BRONZE, Hemet, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Papa,you were the strongest man I ever knew. Someone that their whole life consisted of fighting to live. With such a will to live. From multiple heart surgeries to having weak bones and eventually needing one leg amputated. Through all that you still managed to be such a great and very happy human being that people loved. Such a great husband to his wife of sixty one years. A great father to his six kids and an amazing grandfather, but in my case the greatest great grandpa anyone could have asked for. I'm very lucky to have him he was the best role model and taught me so much. Like to be confident and not be scared. Or to not care what other people think or say. He was definitely the person that would brighten your day by just him saying “Hi honey.” He had the funniest things he would say that at first you would be like what, but then you eventually would get it and just laugh with him. If you didn't  know him and you didn't get his sense of humor you would immediately think that he hated you, when really he was just joking around. He was definitely one of my biggest cheerleaders. From being in the hospital to not feeling his best he still got up and got ready and made it to my first C.I.F game. Seeing him there made me extremely proud and I know how proud he was to watch me. These last couple of months that I got to spend with him are some of the memories I will cherish the very most. Every morning I would go in and say “Hi Papa. “ and he would say “Hi honey.” Then I would come home after school and he would be sitting in his chair waiting to hear what happened today and the newest gossip. I would spend hours just talking to him or playing games just having a good time. Most of the times the night would end with a sing along because he loved to sing. I will never forget this night we were all singing and he was so mesmerized that you could search any song on your phone and it would play. He kept saying “I bet you won't find this one.” The we would play it and he would smile and  just sing and sing and then request a new song and just thought that was the best thing. These nights were the best and definitely ones I wouldn't trade for the world. He also had great looks. Hair done,bright colors, and drenched head to toe in cologne. He never smelt bad that's a fact. And always ready to take a picture and once the picture was taken he would say “let me see.” Then he would look at it and say “That's a good one I'll take fifty.” He was just a great soul that once you met him you loved him. All my friends would tell me how lucky I am to have him because he's so great. It still doesn't feel real that he's really gone. I miss him so deeply and wish he was still with me and my family, but I know he's in a better place now a place where he doesn't have to fight to live anymore a place where he can just rest. Not a day will go by that I won't think of him or think about some of the many memories I have with him. He will forever be in my heart. I love you Papa Bowman.