Number Nine | Teen Ink

Number Nine

November 29, 2016
By Johnson34 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Johnson34 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I bet you guys win,” I told Lance.  We were walking over to get our events for the regional track meet in Osceola.  We did every time a meet was coming up.  Everybody knew that the 4x100 meter relay would be Cody, Max, James, and Lance.  Everybody also knew that the 4x200 meter relay would be Cody, Max, Matt, and Lance.  Most people were done with their season and the others were told to keep coming to practice.  I was told to keep coming, I figured it was just to be an alternate in the relays. 


“I don’t know. We’ll see I guess,” Lance replied.  We grabbed our sheets and started our warm-ups.  We got some time after our warm-ups to look at the events.  The relays we already knew, and I was an alternate.  I was the first alternate for the 4x100 meter relay and the second alternate for the 4x200 meter relay right behind James.


Then it hit me.  I said, “Who’s running the 100?  I know Matt’s running the 200.”


Lance replied, “I have no idea.  I’ll check.”  He searched his packet while I looked at who would be triple jumping.  Brett and Mason would be our triple jumpers.  “It’s you,” Lance said. 


My heart dropped out of my chest and into my gut.  I replied, “What!?”


“Look, your name is listed in the 100 meter runners,” Lance said as he showed me my name in the group of 45 people.  I was seeded to place 29th out of 45 runners.  I was out of words.  I couldn’t think. 


The rest of practice was a blur.  I couldn’t think to save my life.  The next day was the meet and I was the 100 meter runner to represent my school's team.  I got home and ate, but as soon as I finished eating, I went to bed.  I didn’t know what else to do except sleep. 


I woke up to the obnoxious “beep, beep, beep!” my alarm makes every morning.  I got ready for school and got my sister Darby ready to go as well.  We got on the bus and left for school. 


The day was pretty rough.  I couldn’t concentrate in class and I just wanted to crawl in the cupboards to hide.  The final bell rang and my heart dropped out of my chest.


I went to the locker room and got ready.  The nerves were killing me.  My bones felt chilled and my blood was boiling.  We loaded our bus and all I could think of was my dream from the night before.  I had dreamt that I was running and tripped over my own feet, losing it all.  Dead last at regionals, making my school look bad.  My dream kept replaying itself over and over in my head.  I couldn’t bear the thought of it, yet it was always there. 
As soon as I sat down on the bus, I started to eat my food as my pre-meet snack.  I sat in silence the entire ride.  When we got to the Osceola track, we all unloaded the bus and set up our little camp.


The jumpers went and got their steps and the throwers took some warm-up throws.  The runners went through their different warm-ups.  The long distance runners ran some laps and the sprinters went through the dynamic warm-up.  I did my warm-up alone because I was too nervous to speak.  Before I knew it, the officials were clearing the track for the races to start.  Hurdles were first and the 100 was coming up fast.


I warmed up again so my legs wouldn’t be stiff for the race.  I got my track spikes laced up and ready to go.  My race was starting.  I was in heat three of five.  I got my warm-ups off and stood, just waiting for my heat. 
“Heat three, set your blocks,” said the lead official.  He was short and bald.  He was a bigger guy with a deep voice.  I stepped forward.  My heart dropped and my breath was short.  I got my blocks set to where I liked them.


“Runners to your marks,” rang the voice of the lead official.  I jumped a couple times and walked into my starting position.  I forgot how to run.  I didn’t know what I was doing.  I forgot why I was even running in this race. 
“Set,” his voice rang again.  My heart stopped.  I started shaking. I got set and closed my eyes and thought about the first time I ran a race in High School when we won a relay race. 


“BANG,” went the gun.  I forgot how to move my legs, but I was moving.  I was in second.  The only person in front of me was the kid from Durand.  He was seeded in the top four.  The kid behind gaining little by little.  Fifty meters left.  The Ellsworth kid got in front of me.  The kid from Prescott was passing me now.  Ten meters left.  The kid from Prescott passed me now.  And I crossed the finish line in fourth place.  I had no idea if I made the finals or not.  I felt like I had run the fastest 100 time in my life.  All I could do was hope.


I said, “nice race” to all of my competitors in that race.  I walked back down the infield to get my warm ups on and to put my shoes on.  I brought my spikes back to the tent and made my way over to my parents and my dad’s girlfriend.


They all hugged me and said, “nice race.”  Me and my dad walked around a little bit and talked about the race.  Eventually we made our way over to the results window to see who the top nine were.  The top nine were the nine people who made the finals and would run one more race.


My name was on the list of finalists.  I made the finals in the ninth spot and I had run my personal best time.  I ran a 12.00 second time in the 100-meter dash.  My dad said, “Good job bud!”


I responded, “thanks” to my dad and made my way back over to my tent.


My coaches told me “congratulations.” 


I said, “thanks.”  I ate a banana and sat down for a little while.  Eventually the announcement came on for the 100 meter finals.  I warmed up again and made my way over to the track to check in.  When the second announcement came I stretched and did some more warming up.  The final call sounded.  I took my warmups off and put my spikes back on.


I got my blocks set.
“Runners to your marks,” said the lead official.
I felt the nerves in my stomach.
“Set,” he bellowed.
I got up in my blocks and closed my eyes.


“BANG,” sounded the gun.  I took off in a blur.  I didn’t even know where I was.  I was just running with everything I had.  All I knew was that Ethan Ellingsworth from Osceola was in first, which was a no brainer.  He was crazy fast and everyone knew he was going to take first.  I crossed the finish line in ninth place.  I was okay with it though.  I had made it to the finals.  I represented my school and my team in the regional finals.  Not only that, I also ran my personal best time in the 100-meter dash. 
 


The author's comments:

I am an athlete at my school and this piece of writing is based on that.  It is about one of my biggest accomplishemts so far as an athlete.  I am personally proud of myself for the accomplishment in this piece and hope to keep improving.