This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By Luc1017 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Luc1017 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Don’t be a sheep. Don’t be a sheep. I remember the millions of times my dad has drilled this into my head; it is something I will never, I can never, forget. This goes hand in hand with the statement “if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?”  But...this isn’t what he meant when he said this, he wants me to forge my own way in life and do my own things. I plan on fulfilling this both now and in the future.

I believe I have done an acceptable job at not following everything others do. I have  created my own solutions, and figured out ways to do the things I want to do. I made my own friends, earned my own grades, made my own decisions, and gained my own respect. I strongly believe that you should do your own things in life and do it your own way. Following others is okay most of the time, but sometimes you have to do it your own way because not everything others do will be right.

The one clear memory I have of my dad saying this is when I was in my sandbox. That was when my cousin called, asking if I wanted to go to a waterpark, but I was scared.-- I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go. My dad told me to do what  I wanted, not to be a sheep. A thought grew in my head: I would go, but I wouldn’t go on the big slides.  I was afraid of the big slides. When I finally arrived I heard my dad’s voice in my head “Don’t be a sheep, don’t be a sheep.” My cousin ended up going on the big ones that scared me, but I did my own thing and didn’t go on them.

I  have the belief that what your friends do you don’t have to do it with them. Don’t become what everyone else wants you to be and, do your own things and be your own person. Be
Who you are and do what you want to do.

This I believe.

My dad always used to saya this to me (and still does) and it really means a lot. I will never forget it.