Stop Judging | Teen Ink

Stop Judging

November 11, 2016
By jmoffat20 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
jmoffat20 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Are you ever walking around in the hallways at school and only thinking about what you look like? Or if people are judging you? Instead of listening to what your friend is saying you are pretending to listen, because you are worried about your appearance? It’s like you are carrying 1000 pounds on your back. Then you walk into the bathroom and you are fine. It’s like dropping all the weight that you had been carrying around for years. All those worries you had are now gone because you aren’t in the hallway filled with students looking at you. Then, you go back into the hallway and the weights are back. The worry and stress are back. It feels like cameras are pointing at you, wherever you go everyone is always staring, judging.

People shouldn’t judge others. Why? Because what you said will probably come back to them and they will feel bad. They will feel self conscious and not want to be at school. They will feel like they don’t belong at school. For example if you say someone’e hair always looks bad, they will constantly be thinking about what their hair looks like. If someone’s hair does always look bad, then it’s not your problem. You should just back off and worry about your own problems. Don’t whisper in your friends ear to look at how bad the hair looks. Mind your own business and leave the person alone. “No one likes feeling judged. Back off and let people live. We’re all on some type of journey, all evolving and growing.”

Also, you have no idea what is happening with someone’s life at home. You have no idea what hard times they are going through. No one can judge someone they hardly know. They may be acting weirdly, and that could be because their parents are fighting a lot at home and they are very sad. “The boy that you punched in the hallway today, committed suicide a few minutes ago. That girl you called a s*** in class today, she’s a virgin. That boy you called lame, he has work every night to support his family. That girl you pushed down the other day, she’s already being abused at home. That girl you called fat, she’s starving herself. The old man you made fun of because of the ugly scars, he fought for our country. The boy you made fun of for crying, his mother is dying. You think you know them? You don’t!”

Stop yourself from judging other people!! If you are about to, say something positive or don’t say anything at all. Even if you are saying something to your friend, others can hear it. Also, if a friend is judging someone else, tell them it’s not cool. Do not agree with them and judge as well. This is a huge problem for teenagers and we can all help stop it. Next time think about people judging you and how it doesn’t feel good. I bet the other person feels the same exact way. “When we stop judging others and ourselves. our heart begins to open.” Swami Dhyan Giten.


The author's comments:

This should inspire teenagers all around the school to stop judging.