3 Peat | Teen Ink

3 Peat

Now stepping up to the plate “JACK…...KUBIAK”, My heart was pounding faster and faster as I walked up to the plate. Today was the day, we would be trying to make only the second 3 peat in Western history against Zeeland.

Everyone showed up very nervous but ready to go, we knew the whole crowd would have all eyes and attention on us, all game long, but we've seen it before.

By game time we were all ready nothing could stop us with a good pitcher on the mound and good bats to back him up nothing could hold us back, game on….

I was up, I approached the plate with the my favorite bat ever, the Mako XL...

As I walked up we all hear “Now up to bat  Jack Kubiak” The announcer said. With 2 runners on base trying to make the quick 3 run lead bigger and better, with a 1-2 count I hit a missile heading straight for right center…...it was gone a handle shot to put my team up 6-0 it felt so amazing all eyes staring on me while I was in my trot. The crowd was so loud I could her them from third base people cheering my name.

By the 4th inning we were up 8-0 and I was heading up to bat for the 3rd time with a new pitcher on the mound. With one homerun under my belt I knew they were going to be careful, walking up to the plate we locked eyes.
As I stepped into the box he was in no hurry to throw the first pitch. After calling time he had made up his mind, on the first pitch I saw I barrelled up a fastball on the outside corner and hit a screeching shot to right field heading right for a Zeeland white Ford windshield.

I sat and watched or what felt like a lifetime it was gone I had hit my second homerun of the game giving us a even bigger lead of 11-3. This trot was even louder and more memorable, the crowd was roaring with excitement and people were screaming my name and to add on I cracked the car's windshield. We weren't done there though. We still had one out and could still do more damage. After putting up two more we headed right into the 5th inning

Not expecting it, I would approach the plate one last time with nobody on and two outs. I would be facing my 3rd pitcher of the game that we've all seen before and I was ready. Walking to the plate my teammates and parents we yelling “Go Kub”. Little did i know they wouldn't pitch to me, he threw four straight pitches way outside and high so he would rather but the bat in the hands of our next batter. He ended up getting out so we would head to the bottom of our 6th and final inning hoping to put them away.

The bottom of the 6th was here, we had two quick outs but now what could be the final batter was up, all eyes on us and on the first pitch a ground ball right to first base, he steps on the bag and it was over, we were D9 champs and the redemption felt so good after losing our first game to them.

We pulled it off the 3 peat it felt so good, so many emotions were running through our heads but mostly that we just pulled off one of the hardest things ever and win with a blowout 13-3  mercy.

The crowd was louder then they were all game all 215 people were on their feet, after the award ceremony people stormed the field like a stampede of bulls to take pictures and congratulate the champions. It felt amazing having tons of people coming over to you and telling you “great game” or “you did amazing” after your 3rd D9 championship.

Overall this will forever be one of the greatest days of my life and I was glad to share if with my favorite sport and people.