Unbroken | Teen Ink

Unbroken

October 21, 2016
By nmartine0722 BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
nmartine0722 BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone says that “mother knows best” but this is not one of those stories where you mom knows what is best...It was 2000 March 30th 5:37am when I was born. Her name was May, she was the one who gave me life and that is the only thing I can possibly give her credit for till this day. Now I never knew who my father was and I don’t think my mom knew either. My mother or May as I call her, she was just like another kid with the perfect life. Everything was always falling at her feet growing up and never had to lift a finger. My grandparents only wanted the best for her and she only wanted the worst.
I was 8 years old when I lost my mother. My life at that time was never simple but always full of chaos. May was more like a burden than a parent. May was 24 at the time and when she wasn’t working to prove to her parents that she was responsible she was drinking out with her many boyfriends. May only cared that I was dressed well, fed, and had a warm place to sleep just so people like her parents or people from school won’t give her crap about my well being.
I prefer not to remember much from my childhood but there are just somethings you can’t forget...I was going to school and at the time I didn’t really have friends, I guess it was because I couldn't relate to anyone. A few 4th graders would always go around picking on kids that didn’t really fit in at my school. I had been going to class like a always do and I her some boy that was not much taller than me call me homeless boy. I turned around and pushed him without hesitation. That was the first time someone ever said anything to me and for the time being it was the last. Later that day I got called down to the office. Wondering what was going to happen, I had never done anything like this. I barely even talked. As I sat that the principal's office she had been going on about how things like this shouldn’t happen and how I can solve my problems in a better way, I wasn’t really paying attention until she told me we had to have a meeting with my mother about my little outburst. The only thing I said to her that day was “my mother could care less so I wouldn’t waste your time.” When I went home that day my grandparent had came over just to try to tell May that I was better off with them. Till this day my grandma and grandpa were the only people that told me they loved me and actually meant it. Of course May said no. just because she was my mother people doesn’t mean I was better off with her.  May told me that night as she was getting ready to go out with her boyfriend that I need to say out of trouble, not because she cared but because she had to take time from her day to fix my mistakes.
       After she left my night routine was always just about the same. I made dinner for one and watched tv till I fell asleep. I lost watching thing like the history channel or crime shows! Then my mother always waking me up around 3am smelling like vodka and cheap perfume with a man on her waist. All I would do is hide under the blanket, cover my ears, and try to picture having a mother and father like they have in kid movies or in books, teaching them how to ride a bike of helping them with homework.
As I was getting ready for school May had to me “Why do you even go to school Louis? You have nothing going for you just like your father!” My own mother had saw me as a worthless thing. Really I just didn’t want to be like her. “I have to go to your meeting today louis, please try not to saying anything!” as she hit me upside the he
head. My meeting was at 6pm and around that time May was never home. She never made it to the meeting and that was the last morning I saw her alive. My mother did anything really for me. Everything was just a show for her parents. May was the type of person that would try to break you just to make herself feel better. I stay unbroken...Left off in her childhood with her parents and today the only thing I say at the age 16 is that I will never let anyone or anything get in my way because not matter what I can always change the out come.