Jealousy | Teen Ink

Jealousy

It was Spring Break of fifth grade, My family accept for my oldest brother, Joe, was going skiing. Joe was going to the Dominican Republic to help do mission work. I’m not going to lie, I was kinda jealous. Actually, really jealous! I know I was going skiing, but I’m the worst skier in my family and it’s so cold. And, yes I know my brother will be working but, he was planning on going to the beach in the evenings! So, Joe left the second day of spring break. We dropped him off at our church, where everyone on the trip was meeting, on our way to Breckenridge, Colorado. The drive was long and uneventful.

Finally, we got to the house we rented, I went in and was so excited because there was a hot tub! There was also a wonderful view. The next day, we hit the slopes. It was exhausting and hard. When we got home that day, I took my ski boots off and felt the sweet feeling of my ankles being set free. After, I got into the hot tub as soon as possible, I was so cold. The next day was a lot easier and so was the rest of the trip. I got on the lift. As I rode up the slope I realized how breathtaking the view was! It felt like I was the only one on the mountain. I whispered to myself “wow”.
My mom said “huh?”. And then I remembered my mom was there too, as I snapped back into reality.

Then we drove back home and picked my brother up. He couldn’t stop talking about how much fun it was and how pretty the water was. And of course, I was gonna be a little jealous. Then he started showing my family and I pictures of the beach and the sunsets. And, as you can imagine, that made me even more jealous!

A couple days went by and then he started showing my family and I pictures of the people who lived there. They had mud on them and didn’t have enough water and food. The school the kids went to was outside in the heat. They didn’t have shoes. But, they still had smiles on their faces.

Joe said “They were the nicest people I’ve met. I had water and they weren’t even asking me for it. Because they knew if I gave it to them, then i’d have to give it to everyone, and then i’d be out.” Then I realized, I don’t have to drink dirty water, I don’t have to walk miles to get to school. I didn’t have to work at the age of six. And, I was sitting in a warm and comfy house with a great view complaining about getting to go on vacation!
A few weeks after spring break, I came home from school and my brother and my mom weren’t home. I called my mom.

“Where are you guys?” I said confusingly

“We are at the hospital, Joe got very sick from drinking some water that wasn’t filtered on the trip!” my mom said nervously.

My brother had lost fifteen pounds in just that one day he was very dehydrated. Luckily he got much better and came home from the hospital.  Once that happened, I was not as jealous that he got to go because after Joe got better, my mom was getting emails from parents who’s kids were on the trip. They were saying that their kids were getting sick too.

I never realized how lucky I was before that spring break. And, I was very lucky that my brother was okay. Now, whenever I want a new phone or new shoes or something. I remember, some people don’t even have stuff they need, I have stuff I need and want.

This changed my point of veiw.