A New Chapter | Teen Ink

A New Chapter

By mia_lofgren BRONZE, La Quinta, California
mia_lofgren BRONZE, La Quinta, California

I didn't want to wake up that morning. I had to sleep on the floor because my bed that I had been sleeping on for the past year was sold the day before. I remember thinking I still had a few things to pack so the movers my family had hired could put our things in a truck. I've always found it kind of funny how everything you own and love could just be boxed up and moved away. The sky outside that morning was dark and you could barely see the sun peak through over the horizon for my favorite part of the day. I always preferred sunrises over sunsets because they represent a new beginning. This day was certainly a new beginning. It meant I would leave behind everything and everyone I love behind so my mom and my family could be happy. I didn't want to go to school because I couldn't stand the thought of saying goodbye to all of the people who I shared so many memories and laughs with. I went downstairs to find an empty living room, all I could see was a table and a few chairs where my family and I used to eat and my mom was sitting in one of those chairs wearing a hoodie and pajama pants, playing on her phone and occasionally sipping a cup of coffee. When I asked her if I could stay home that day she glanced at me and nodded. I went upstairs to my room to get back into a somewhat comfortable position, I cried myself back to sleep thinking I wouldn't be able to call this state my home. I wouldn't be able to see my dad or my grandparents every weekend like I used to, or spend 3 to 4 hours after school with my friends walking in the snow just to get food. This was the day I had to move to a completely new state and live a new life meeting new people making new memories. This was the start of something new.