Cute Doggie Behavior | Teen Ink

Cute Doggie Behavior

Every morning I call to my happy and loving dogs Charley and lola in a half awoken, dark, and cool house. They come scampering even though I have to put them in their cage for the worst part of their day. They are never happy about this, and I always feel sorry for them. Especially during football season all of my family is busy after work or school. They don't get much time to spend with us during the week around this time of year. It is especially hard for Charley because he is only a year old and and has endless puppy energy.

Lola is older and doesn't usually mind being alone as much because she likes to sleep. Even then, I can still see the sadness is her eyes when everyone has to leave. Sometimes I will give in and get them each a treat, or I will hurry them outside an extra time just to let them sniff around. I usually say, “Sorry boy” or “I'll be back as soon as I can chuck.” I believe that this helps them, not that they can understand what i'm saying, but they are plenty smart to see that i'm talking in a reassuring tone. This calms and soothes them before they have to be alone for another day.

Its interesting how much emotion you can see in a dog just from their body language. There are the obvious ones like a wagging tail, also there are more interesting ones that's specific to their personality. When Lola is happy she lifts her her head up higher and seems to prance around as she walks, when she is sad she likes to just quietly mope around or go lie by herself. When Charley is happy he gets rambunctious he tries to run everywhere at once, his attitude screams excited, when he is sad he likes to try and catch your attention and put on a show of drama by laying down slow and fling himself around, he will let out a sharp whine, loud enough to make you cringe.  Once you get to know a dog, you can pick up their emotions in a matter of seconds, just like with a person.

When I am home especially on the weekends I try to play with them as much as possible and throw the ball. Still monday comes, and they can tell when we have to go. Another week starts of long hours without the family. I wonder what they think everytime we walk out the door. But, I have to put them in again, and they are usually reluctant but they do it anyways. I give them a final farewell through a stroke of the hand and I go on my way. Sometimes I look back and I see worried and concerned, furry faces.