Soccer Memoir | Teen Ink

Soccer Memoir

By paigecook BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
paigecook BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island

Looking back a couple years ago, I’ve come to realize that I was not the best at everything like I thought I was. About six years ago in January, I started playing soccer for the first time. I was eight years old and I knew the basics of the game, how to dribble, how to shoot, etc. But, one night, I had the biggest confidence booster of my life.

I played for the lowest ranked team for the CYSA competitive league. We had never won a game and we were probably the worst team around. Games were held usually on Saturday nights at Wide World of Indoor Sports in North Smithfield. That place was my second home. Although I had not been playing soccer for that long, I had fell in love with the sport and it was my life. Usually before my game, I would talk to my coach and I would ask what I was playing, not realizing that my position never changed and that I always would play midfield. When I think about it today, I wonder why I even liked midfield.

Before the game we usually just ran around and passed the ball to team mates. We weren’t that organized with it so none of us really had control over the ball. I would always play pass with one of my close friends Laurel Houle. I went to school with her and we always talked about our weekend plans. The ref blew his whistle to indicate the game would be starting any minute. My team formed a huddle and sang our little cheer.

Starting out at midfield was my favorite thing to do. I am able to play both defense and forward. At the age and competition level I was playing, it was fairly easy to get the ball and pass to my teammates. I had a feeling that today was going to be different, and that for some odd reason, I thought we could actually win. The most distinct memory I have from this game is that I had one song stuck in my head all night. I quite frankly don’t know why, it just kind of happened that way. The song is Rhythm of Love by the Plain White T’s.

The first half was almost over and the game was tied 0-0. I have never scored a goal in my life and to be brutally honest, I didn’t think that it would ever happen. Surprisingly, during this game, I was able to get many shots on net. However, the keeper was very swift with her movements and was able to snatch the ball before it went into the net. There was less than a minute left in the game and I had no defenders on me. My teammate, Julia, passed the ball across the field, and I had a clear shot, but I was very far from the goal. Instead of wasting time by dribbling closer to the net, I went with my gut instinct and just took the shot. I couldn’t have been happier! The ball went in the net and right as it crossed the line, the buzzer sounded, indicating that the first half was over.
As the second half began, I couldn’t keep a smile off my face. My goal had put us up by 1, which meant that if it stayed that way, we would win the game. However, as I was in my little own world for a short period of time, I allowed a girl from the opposing team to get by me and she was able to score a goal. That made me snap back into reality. I really wanted to win that game, because we had never won one before. It was my goal to score another goal.

Time went on, and I barely received the ball. Then, tragedy struck. Our best forward, Rebecca, went down, crying in pain. I don’t exactly know what happened but all I knew is that our best forward was out for the rest of the game. My coach called me over and said I would be taking her spot up front. This was my chance. The game resumed and there was 4 minutes left on the clock.

I made sure I was always open for a pass so I could score. Finally, I got the ball, and I turned and dribbled, weaving my way in and out of players. I made my way up to the goal and tapped the ball into the net. I scored, yet again. The other team must have been really down on themselves because they didn’t try tying the game in the last 2 minutes. Finally, the buzzer went off and the end of the game had arrived. We had finally won!

Although it may seem like a little unimportant event for others, it was major for me. It was the first time I ever scored and I felt that I was a champion. This feeling gave me the confidence that I never really had and helped me believe that I was a good soccer player, no matter what my rank was. I have scored goals many times in my soccer career, but none of them can be remembered like this one.