When Life Gives You Lemons... | Teen Ink

When Life Gives You Lemons...

By jodiemejia1221 BRONZE, Hamburg, New York
jodiemejia1221 BRONZE, Hamburg, New York

I have had eczema for as long as I can remember. I saw countless dermatologists and pediatricians, yet none of them knew the cause of the stinging blisters on my fingers and the itchy red skin on the backs of my knees. I felt damaged until after I turned eleven. The one thing we all forgot could be a factor was the food I ate everyday. The allergist (who I am still going to, to this day) was the one who solved the lifelong mystery I had at the time. After drawing multiple tubes of blood, I finally had my answer. There were several allergies to foods such as: wheat, soy, corn, garlic, sesame seeds, shellfish, and tree nuts. All ingredients in almost everything processed that you could buy in a store. My family and I were elated to have finally found the source of my problem. Now that we knew what foods I couldn’t eat, our new challenge was finding what I could eat.

I was on a strict diet for almost two years. We couldn’t believe how many products contained ingredients I was unable to have. My mom and I learned how to make our own ketchup, ice cream, and bread to name just a few items. I am fortunate to enjoy most vegetables, because my diet consisted of mostly those, fruits, and a lot of chicken. The cost of “Jodie-Proof” food was outrageous. Because of this I felt tremendous guilt. I was already the problem child, the one who always cost my parents money one way or another. My braces, monthly allergy shots, and now the food that wouldn’t mess up my skin. But my parents always told me that my quality of life was worth it.

Close to the time of my thirteenth birthday, it was time to be retested. A few more tubes of blood later, and the results were in. I honestly didn’t believe the news. I thought it was some kind of joke, but I was wrong, this was true. I had outgrown all of my food allergies. It was something that I didn't even know was possible. But, twenty percent of all kids with childhood allergies will outgrow them before adulthood. I just happened to be lucky enough to fall within that twenty percent.

I was now free from the embarrassment of having to bring my food in a little lunch box to every place I went. I was free from the words “I’m so sorry for you”, when the last thing I wanted was sympathy. I was free from the guilt of almost doubling the cost of my family’s food bill. I was free to go to restaurants and eat things that normal people ate. I was free from the teasing because of being ”The girl with the weird food”. But what most of them didn’t know was that it was the only food I could eat that wouldn’t cause me and harm. I could now eat whatever I wanted without having to worry about how it would damage my skin.
I didn’t trust the results right away. It took me weeks to start trying my problem foods again for the first time in two years; however, I pulled out all the stops Easter Sunday that year when I was given a basket full of candy. A big chocolate bunny, colorful jelly beans, Peeps, and my favorite; Reese’s peanut butter cups. I couldn’t contain myself, I nearly devoured the entire basket. I went to bed happy that night; on the other hand, my mother went to bed in fear that I had made a huge mistake. I woke up fine the next day, and also regained my self control, promising to take things slow.

For the most part I am fine. Occasionally, things will make my fingers react the way they used to, but not often. I now know how to count my blessings and never take anything for granted. During that time I was healthier than I have ever been. I have learned that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Homemade is always better than what you can buy in the store anyways.

Dawn said...
That was very nicely written Jodie! You have real talent...and grit! Not easy to share your feelings at your age with multitudes!

Dawn said...

Tara said...
Nice job Jodie. Thank you for sharing your story. :)

Tara said...

Mrs. Chase said...
Jodi, Thank you for sharing your story. I know how hard the past few years have been on all of you. Please consider writing a children's book about all that you went through. There are many children out there feeling that they are alone in their battle too.

Mrs. Chase said...

breastfriend said...
I love this memoir so much. I'm so proud of you!