And Her Name Was Bella-Rose | Teen Ink

And Her Name Was Bella-Rose

By Sophiecz BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Sophiecz BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

"A professional writer is an amateur that didn't quit"- Richard Bach

“Are we there yet?’ I asked impatiently. “Not yet,” answered my mom calmly. I couldn’t believe it. The excitement took hold of me and I wanted to scream. Then all of a sudden, pigs and sheep appeared beside our car. Pastures full of them lined up on the sides of the road. The smell of manure and wet dog filled my nose. The sound of yapping puppies rang in my ears. I spotted a pen full of puppies by a small baby blue house. “We’re here!” I shrieked. “SHHHH, you’ll scare the puppies!” my brother whispered. Finally we parked, I jumped out and raced to the door. My family quickly followed. A young boy and girl answered the door. A small cream colored puppy was nestled in the crook of the little girl’s arm. I knew that was our dog. We were lead into the kitchen where a middle aged woman invited us to sit at her kitchen table. Then the lady let us name the dog. Her original name was Grace, but we all agreed on the new name Bella.

I picked up the puppy and sat down with her on the living room floor. She smelled like bacon and lavender shampoo. I whispered her name quietly. Bella gazed up at me and then licked me, right on the nose. Her tongue was warm and soft. I laughed, then she did it again, and I laughed again. Pretty soon she wouldn’t stop, and I couldn’t stop laughing. She jumped up on me and I rolled back on the floor. I was laughing like a wild hyena, but I didn’t care. It was the happiest moment of my life.

Later that night thunder and lightning shook the house, like a T- shirt in a dryer. My family and I were watching TV; I was sitting on the floor with my back up against the couch. Suddenly a huge clap of thunder and lightning struck a few miles away. Bella squealed and scurried behind my back for cover. The whole family laughed at her innocence. She looked confused and scared. Her warm, shaking body snuggled up closer to me. At that moment, I knew Bella and I would be friends forever. And I think that the reason Bella chose to find cover and safety behind MY back is because maybe, she knew that too.

This is the story of when I got my very first dog, Bella-Rose. 8 years later, and she is still my best friend.