Uncertainty | Teen Ink

Uncertainty

March 8, 2016
By Shelbeirs BRONZE, Stoughton, Massachusetts
Shelbeirs BRONZE, Stoughton, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I grew up with a big family, I had two older brothers and two older sisters. Both of which never let me forget that they were bigger than me. My mother was a strong woman, I mean you have to be to raise five kids, but she took it to the next level always making sure each and every one of us knew how much we were loved and cared for. It wasn't a perfect world but it was my world.


When I was little I naturally hated the doctors. I hated the putrid sterile smell. I hated the smirks on the nurse’s face right before she stuck me with a needle. I hated the feeling of being touched and bothered without being able to stop it. And most of all I hated the way they made my mother feel because it was the only place that reminded us we weren't really a family. Three of us were adopted. The simple question, “Does that run in the family?”send mom for a loop. You see back in the day, to make things easier on my mom, she would schedule all our doctors appointment on the same day.  And one but one my brothers and sisters and I would watch hopelessly as each of us would get poked and agitated hoping that the same would not happen to us, but in a vicious cycle it always did.  I've never seen my mom fall short to any question faster then when the doctor would ask that one.
   

In the back of our minds we all knew, but it didn't matter to us because we were siblings and the only ones that seemed to care were the ones who we hated the most. It seemed to divide us seeming as when it was mine and one of my sisters turns it when like this; “Does  that run in the family?” Followed by a long history from my mom of how some great or distant cousin might have had something like that or maybe not. Though when it came time for the others a blank stare came across my mom's face as she remorsely replied “I'm not sure.” Granted all this, but the time we got back to the car my world was spinning round the right way again and I could breath. Nothing changed. Genetics are just sciences and chemicals. My bond with my siblings is unbreakable and it doesn't take much to see that.


The author's comments:

Shelby Smith is a high school senior at Stoughton High School in Massachusetts. She enjoys reading and playing sports.