The Ball | Teen Ink

The Ball

February 7, 2016
By landyn1 BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
landyn1 BRONZE, Marysville, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Then there I was standing arms length away from Russell Wilson, I couldn’t believe it…


2 years ago, my cousin, Mom, and I got tickets to go to a the Seattle Seahawks training camp. It was the morning of and we were all excited, as we were eating breakfast, I said, “getting an autograph at the training would be like finding a diamond in the rough.” After we finished breakfast we got in the car then drove for what seemed like forever.  But when my we got there my mom said, “Now we are going to wait in a really long line for the shuttle that takes you to the training camp so don't whine”. Then we hopped into the back of a loud and rowdy line for the bus, there were so many people that the line was almost around the block but it was worth it.
  The bus took us too the training camp, but we did have to wait for 30 minutes on the bus it felt like we would never get there. But when we did it was really fun. You could smell the food they were selling in the stands and it smelled like juicy burgers and sweet cotton candy. There were contests you could enter with a loud worker trying to entice everyone to enter. A bounce house full of kids the place was hectic, it was like a jungle, I was hoping I didn't lose my cousin or mom. I spotted a shop to buy Seahawk gear I asked my mom,”Could I get a jersey” She replied,” You can on our way out.” I wanted to get a Russell Wilson jersey because he was my favorite player and I didn't have a jersey yet.

My cousin and I brought footballs just in case there were going to be autographs from the players at the end of the practice. As we sat and the grass and watched the Seahawks practice we noticed a family friend who had been one of the first people there and was in the front row right next to the field and he saw us to and invited us to sit with him in the very front. It was awesome because if any player came by giving autographs after the practice, we had to get one at least. At the end of practice a ton of players came to the front and signed autographs each player that came up, about 4 chose a section to autograph. The players that came up were Earl Thomas, Red Bryant, Heath Farwell, and Russell Wilson.

Then the craziest thing happened and Russell Wilson ran up right to where we were and asked me,”Do you want me to sign that for you” pointing at the ball in my hands. In my head, I thought don't say something stupid, I said,”yes” (of course) and then he signed my mom's Russell Wilson jersey, and my cousins ball also our family friend got his Russell Wilson jersey signed but then everyone behind us was going crazy trying to reach over everyone in the front. There were even kids trying to get autographs on their parents' shoulders so after we got our autograph we got out of there. Then I got a Russell Wilson jersey on our way out and that year the Seahawks went on to win the Super Bowl. From that experience I learned that you should be thankful for once in a lifetime experience like mine, I could go to the Seattle Seahawks training camp 20 more times and never even get a autograph.So that's why you have to thankful for and cherish the special experiences that you have.