My Friend Alex | Teen Ink

My Friend Alex

February 4, 2016
By Anonymous

A warm summer day, with the light breeze tingling my delicate skin, as I try to make a swish in basketball, and I barely sink it with the feeling of relief in my eyes, but yet no one even bothered to care. In fact, everyone seemed disappointed rather than being in any way supportive, mainly because I had shot in about five areas where it was completely possible to make a basket, and the odds were also in my favor because of the lack of players actually trying to play a defensive game  and missed all of the baskets coherently. I funnily attempted to blame the breeze and got laughed at even more, and I clung onto the ball and violently threw it as hard as, aiming directly for Alex’s face.
  

When I was younger than I am now, I use to hang out with a person named Alex, who I vaguely knew, but since we both lacked friends we decided to hang out. Usually, we did standard things that a kid our age would do, granted he was more athletic and a bit more psychopathic. He did things along the line of pulling someone’s shorts down as what he considered “fun”, but he did normal things as well, such as playing basketball, normal as in roughly trucking me just to make a basket and missing and declining the fact that he did it.
    Whenever we played basketball we usually played with a plethora of people, sometimes with my friends, sometimes with his lack OF friends. All of his friends were what people considered “a bully”, being large in size, and not being the smartest seed in the bucket. One of the kids there, Jack asked me “Are you sort of a geek? What are your grades?” and other dumb, off topic questions. So, we went to go play basketball with both friend groups, amassing about 10 people, since not really everyone was willing to go, but we still had a large amount of people. Usually people tried saying “I have homework to do”, as we didn’t have homework that day, or the standard “I’m with the family” sort of excuse.
   

We played, and his team obviously won, even though we had more people. During that game, I tried so hard to sink multiple basketballs, but my aim was really off, and I even hit the backboard, as impossible as it sounds, and it rolled and I tripped on it. I also threw it and hit the physical basket, and the basket reflected the ball and I got hit in the face, as well. Everyone on my team was either playing “defence”, or being bodybags that Alex would just tackle. The next day, he asked me “do you want to play today?”, and I just sort of gave up, because of how we would never win. I played with him a boatload more, to a point where is a natural instinct for me to just walk to the court, and I got a bit better, but never as good as him.
   

We decided to play a bit more basketball as everybody left, as in 1 on 1 because our parents were always late, and we actually had fun. He went a bit easier on me, but he still won by a mile. Granted, it was still fun. Our basketball was pretty flat from all the usage, so I blamed it on that since I was really bad at basketball myself. I do like basketball but I’m just bad at it naturally. We actually did have fun for that portion of time that we played together, because of how dull it was playing 5 on 5 with the teams being completely uneven.
 

The very next day, he didn’t actually invite me to play basketball, because he was supposedly doing schoolwork, but knowing him for the 4 days that I did, I knew  that he wasn’t the type to do homework and skip playing basketball for it. I called him for a millisecond and he said “Oh sorry, got to do homework” in a rushed voice, implying he was doing something tiring during the call,  so I decided to head to the court, ready to see what my friend had bailed out on me for. He was playing basketball. funnily enough. I decided to join the game, and got accepted. I was the worst player in any case, so to a degree I was just the guy that, when he got the ball passed it to someone who could actually shoot. People usually said “Josh is like the worst player on any team, why would you want him on your team when he’s worse than me!”, and I tried retaliating with “You just assume you’re better”.
  

When my friend Alex was open and I was at the free throw line, I decided to try to make a shot, and I don’t regret it. I finally made a basket near the end of the game, and no one even cared. Out of pure anger, I chuck the ball as hard as I could to Alex, who was half the court away, causing him to leave and regret having me as a friend. Everybody in the court was to an extent, proud of me because of him being the best player and making it easy for them to play, but angry at the same time for injuring Alex. No one uttered a word as we all left, and abandoned the court.
 

Later in the year, we separated, since I had moved, and our friendship ended there. We decided to call each other on Skype, because he wanted my Skype before I moved, but I rarely even get on Skype. Looking back, I definitely seemed more like an indigenous follower, who was just naturally by him. He never mentioned the time that I threw the ball at him because of how embarrassing it was for the both of us, but  I’m glad in the end we separated, because if we didn’t, there’d be a plethora of things different about my personality.