The Embarrassment of the Cruise | Teen Ink

The Embarrassment of the Cruise

February 4, 2016
By Ayushj BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
Ayushj BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“This bed is too shaky and has so many lumps!” my sister annoyingly exclaimed.


“Wooooshhhhh!”


“ Whooooa! Even though we are in the middle of the ocean, you still packed your stupidity,” I laughed. Back home my sister always speaks everything on her mind. I think that’s where I learned it from.


“Yes, you heard me right,” we were in the middle of the ocean. Not in a bad way to alarm you, we were on a cruise. We stopped at Ft. Lauderdale then onto the Bahamas to eventually head back at the Port of Baltimore. What I didn’t know is that soon enough I would want to jump off the ship out of embarrassment.


It was lunch time and the food buffet looked breathtaking. It was a junk food lover’s heaven. There was pizza for days that looked everlasting. It was as cheesy as one of my uncle's jokes.  Next was a make-your-taco bar of which had everything a boy could dream. Then there was a deep never ending pit of golden and crispy french fries. Lastly, there was a frozen-yogurt station with an infinite number of choices.


I sat down, paying homage to the food as if it were a God. When I was halfway through my meal, a pounding bell permeated my  eardrums. Before I could even ask my dad what was going on, the flashing arrows caught my attention.  They eventually led us to the part of the ship where its liferafts were located. I struggled to make out the messages being blared across the loudspeaker. “ This is for shhhh. Do not worry please get to your shhhh- area. And shhhhhh  on the liferafts.” Shhhhhh- calm.


“Oh nooo we’re all gonna die. Everybody evacuate on the liferafts. Every man for themselves!” I exclaimed
Everybody looked at me like I was a crazy nine year old who was completely clueless, including my annoying sister. My dad bonked me on the head and told me to shut up. I had to get off this boat. I couldn’t die, I have so many years of wonderful life ahead of me. I was just nine. WHY ME?


A lady walked out of the room who directed us to make our way to the liferaft. I tried to ask her what was going on.


She said with a smirk on her face, “Make your way to the liferafts, honey.”


It looked like she was having fun giving nobody no information whatsoever. Number one I wanted to know what was going on and number two her job was crowd helper so I was a bit annoyed at her lack of assistance on my behalf. I was rushed, pushed and jostled to the liferafts. Then I tripped but, luckily I caught hold of a button which I pressed… Oh noo I just let one of the liferafts fall. Nobody noticed but then-


“Hey everybody look it's a huge green bird that's falling,” a little deviant boy called out.


Next the crowd lady yelled, “Do not worry, in a short amount of time you guys will be  able to go back to your cabins.  This was just a drill.”


“WHAAAAAAT, I  thought we were gonna die!” I screamed.


As soon as the bell stopped ringing, we walked to our cabin. Then I noticed that everybody was behind me except my family. Seeing those strangers laughing and pointing at me caused me to dart to my room, slamming the door behind me. 


Hours later, in the evening my parents forced me to go to a pizza making activity with the ship’s pizza chef. The age group was 9-12. I was the first one there and when other kids started to come they turned around and started laughing to their parents. At the end of the activity my pizza was an extra large with tomatoes, onions, and green peppers and also the winner of the contest. So I got to take my pizza and a special chef’s pizza to my room which was awesome. Everybody started to look annoyed at me instead of laughing. They were super jealous and started to just leave the room.


Later on I took my pizza’s to my room. My sister jumped off her bed and started to devour her first slice. After my scrumptious pizza’s we went off to see the fireworks on the veranda. They were amazing, so many different colors and sizes, it was like a rainbow in the sky. Now that’s ironic. It was a happy ending for a nine-year-old pizza chef.


The author's comments:

This is a true story