Treehouse | Teen Ink

Treehouse

February 4, 2016
By Anonymous

All of a sudden I hear Michelle jump off the lookout with a thud and come towards me in a rush “Two figures came in the area to the left which is the entrance to the forest.” said Michelle in a quick but quiet voice.


In a hurry we ran on the long trail to Viktoriya and Lizzy who were deeper in the dark green of the forest to warn them about the two figures in the forest. Waiting we all sat in the open area by the treehouse, but then the we all heard two voices and moved further in the forest.

There are four of us Viktoriya, Michelle, Lizzy, and me. We have been close friends for over five years and are quite curious when it comes to the forests in our neighborhood. On valentine's day of 2014 we decided that we would all spent the day together wandering the forests around our neighborhood. That day started around nine o’clock at Viktoriya’s house getting our rubber rain boots and crunchy snacks. “Hey, let's go quickly,” Michelle said and then she explained “We need to hurry up because it will get dark faster than you think.” We all agreed then headed off to Berry forest, Swampy area, the River, and finally the cement blocks by the biggest forest. Berry forest is full of blackberries and raspberries but over time we have made a thin path about a foot wide so we could pick the berries faster.  After walking on the berry path we went to the place we call the swamp which is right next door, this is where the rain boots came in the water is about knee high. The swamp was where we had seen some brown deer in the past, found some really big mushrooms, and just had fun exploring. Leaving the swamp was really hard we were all covered in mud from head to toe and soaking wet, but still carried on to the river. The river is by my house it’s just a big river in a small forest where we used to all play when we were younger, so we just sat on a smooth grey rock relaxed, washed off our boots, and talked. “Do you guys remember playing Uno in the snow?” Viktoriya asked.


All of us responded saying “Yes!”


Michelle responded with “It is the best thing we ever did together.” After an hour or two we left heading to the white cement blocks which is a 5 to 10 minute walk.

At the cement blocks is where we typically just hang out, riding bikes, walking and having picnics. The cement blocks are right in front of a massive forest full of exploration, so eventually Viktoriya said “Let’s go”. After cleaning up we carried our stuff with us following Viktoriya into the forest. A little bit later she stopped and since I was in the back I crashed into Lizzy who pushed Michelle but Viktoriya didn’t budge she just stood there like an immovable rock. As she slowly but surely moved over for us to see everything went quiet and there was a treehouse behind a big old white tree root. All I heard was “Let’s go take a look inside.” Lizzy said with a bit of uncertainty.

We looked around the tree house and there wasn’t much just some old hammers,rusty nails, orange copper wire, black and red wire cutters, pieces of wood, and a blue rope. “Okay, we will split up into three teams,” Viktoriya said taking charge “Michelle will be the lookout, Jasmine will be around the area just here, and Lizzy will come with me.”
“Okay.” Michelle, Lizzy and I responded.


I was the one to wonder nearby and I found wood underneath a dark green bush, car tools, along with a black and blue buckets which I brought back. Michelle was the lookout and came running around a bend when “Two figures came in the area to the left which is the entrance to the forest.” Michelle said in a quietly rushed voice. Michelle and I went on the trail to find Lizzy and Viktoriya who had been on the trail forever. When we found each other we all hid until the figures left. Lizzy and Viktoriya found a white and green PUD truck covered in leaves next to big piles of wood and tools in an open part of the forest. We all brought back some supplies and started to re-build the tree house restoring the slanted ladder wooden and old floorboards.


Re-building would be the hardest part of all, because the nails were so rusty orange and the tools were a bit worn out. After time and time again the treehouse started taking shape every once in awhile the four of us going there to tear down to rebuild to clean up. There were some days that we just sat there and talked for hours about funny moments we have had together. “Remember when VIktoriya somehow stepped on her own finger.” I said.
“Of course, I still don’t know how she managed that!” said Lizzy in response. Viktoriya was just sitting there laughing at herself,


“I don’t think anyone can be more clumsy than Viktoryia here and she’s the oldest” Michelle said trying not to laugh to much.

That old rickety tree house still stands today and it was the best way I have ever spent a day in a forest. I went back to the treehouse the other day and saw that someone had wrapped it all in white plastic so, I tried to figure out who did this so I could ask if I would be able to take it down. I never figured out who did it but I do that the treehouse held some great memories, I will remember spending that last day with some important people in my life. Having a day dedicated to just being with your friends is important and always will be because some friends build who you are especially the ones you grew up with. The people around you will always build you in some way or another and friends are one of the few people that make you who you are.