Race Day | Teen Ink

Race Day

By bellareginag BRONZE, Flat Rock, Michigan
bellareginag BRONZE, Flat Rock, Michigan

"Don't look back, your not going that way"

As my alarm clock blared, I hurried out of bed. Today is the day of my first 10K, the day I will see if my weeks of training has made me sucsessful. I hurry down the stairs to grab a granola bar. "Calm down hot stuff!" My sister said as I ran into the kitchen. "I can't! Today is the day of the Memorial Race!" I replied with cheer. I was so excited I actually slept in my running clothes. With 6 months of training, I felt prepared. I stretched as I waited for my sister to get ready.

As we got in the car and left I couldn't sit still because of all the excitment. Everytime I seen a random person running on the streets I felt even more confident. I seen a sign that says Memorial Day Run, and I knew I was closer to the race. It was hard to wait till my sister parked the car because I wanted to get out and start running so badly. The race is supposed to start at 9am, I looked at my watch, and the time read 8:45. I grabbed my running shoes out of my backpack and hurried to put them on. I went to the starting line and streched for a second. I feel some butterflies start to fly into my stomach as I see more people approaching the starting line. My watch read, 8:55.

There were hundreds of people in a big cluster behind the starting line. I head a gunshot fire, and away we went. There were many people of my age racing, but from what it looks like, it seems like I'm the fastest. I run torwards the very front of the group, and as soon as I knew it, I was in the lead! I looked behind me and smiled. Seeing the lakes, trees and hills in the metropark made my running even smoother. And at the speed of light, the race is already over. I lay flat on the ground and try to catch my breath. The feeling of running makes me feel free. My sister comes over to me and hugs me. "I'm so proud of you!" My sister says to me laughing. We both go sit down at one of the picnic tables waiting for the other runners to finish. About 30 minutes went by, and the results were finally in. They were announcing my age catagory second to last. I zone out for most of the time while they are announcing the other age catatories. My sister nudged me. "Your next girll!" "Age Catogory 9-14" The announcer says. I cross my fingers. "Coming in third place Kayla S." As Kayla went up there they put a medal on her heck and handed her a ribbon that said 3rd Place. "Second Place, Nickolas V." "And finally! In first place! Bella G.!" My heart beat increases and I smile. I walk up there and a girl puts a heavy medal around my neck, hands me a small trophy and a ribbon that says 1st Place" From the stage I can see my sister smiling at me. Then I realized that my practice really did help me, and if I practice and train more then I might become a way better runner and even do marathons!