The Day My World Stopped | Teen Ink

The Day My World Stopped

By animelovergirl13 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
animelovergirl13 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

It was the same routine over and over again. Get up, go to school, bore myself to death, ride the bus home, do my homework, eat dinner and then go to bed. But then, all of that changed. My entire world turned upside down and it all started with a single scare. That afternoon after getting off the bus I walked down my driveway where my mom and my dog, Chey, were waiting for me. Chey was extremely excited to see me, as usual, and almost knocked me off my feet, as usual. Of course with him being a mighty German shepherd dog he was able to do that, but I didn't mind it, although my mom had a much better idea of what he should be doing, which of course was sitting on the ground behaving of course. My mom asked me about my day and of course I said “BORING!” that was my normal answer to her. That was when my mom told me the worst news ever.

I remember when we first got Chey. I was so excited. I stayed with a friend while my parents drove down to Ohio to get him. We bought him a leather collar with dog bones on it and lots of cute little toys, a bed, puppy food, and everything he would need so that he could be happy.

“Chey was attacked by another dog while we were out walking this morning. He grabbed Chey by the neck and wouldn't let go. So I threw him off and sent him back to where he belonged.”

“Is he alright?” I panicked.

“He’s fine now, but he’s a little shaken up.” She replied.

But then; after that the worst possible thing happened. Chey was attacked once more. In total three times all by different dogs.

I woke up like any normal Saturday morning and walked downstairs to see my puppy. My mom was sitting in the library; crying and her eyes were red, like she had been crying for hours without stopping. Chey was with my mom and was lying right next to her.

“Good morning mom! Good morning sweetie!” I yelled happily.

But then when my mom told me the worst news of my life, I wished I could take it all back. I wished it had never happened.  My mom made me sit down with her.

“Your dad has stayed up all night making this decision and none of us wanted this to happen or for the situation to come to this but...We’re putting Chey down today.” 

Immediately I burst into tears. I was crying so hard it was awful. It was like a waterfall streaming out of my eyes.  I hugged Chey and cried into his fur. I didn't want him gone, as much as my parents didn't want him gone either. I sat on the couch with my stuffed animals in my arms stroking his sweet soft head. We sat there with my dad next to me and my mom in her chair. We were all crying like crazy and I didn't want to let him go.

I was going to see Beauty and the Beast, in the movie theatre with a friend and her other BFF. My parents didn’t want me home when they took him into the vets. I hugged him and I didn't want to let him go when I left for my friend’s house, because I knew I would never see him again. His sweet brown eyes, his silky soft black fur and his sweet little kissy bear face. I wanted him to be with me forever; and when we first got him, I thought that he would be with us forever. I thought that I would end up going to Clarkston Junior High School with him saying goodbye to me on first day but it was not to be. With my stuffed animals still in my arms I went and knelt down next to him as I said goodbye. Tears were streaming down my face and I couldn’t stop crying. I wrapped my arms around him and then his tail began wagging. He then gave me a ton of slobbery kisses which I didn't go ewww at this time because I knew it would be the last kisses he would ever give me. I was crying all over him and I didn't want to say goodbye. It was so hard. My mom pulled me away and I went and got into the car. I sat in the passenger seat of the red GMC Terrain,  my stuffed animals still in my arms. I waved goodbye as my mom stopped in front of the library window where my dad and they were sitting together. My dad never cries but he was crying this time. He had spent all of the past night awake making the hardest decision of his life. I waved goodbye to him for a few minutes and before my mom turned around in the driveway I silently whispered to him “I will always know you’re with me even when you’re gone from this world, and I will always love you.” Then my mom turned around and drove away, and that was the last time I saw my sweet little baby Chey. I wish he was still with me because apart from being my first proper family pet, he was like a little brother, and my best friend in the world. He used to be what comforted me in my hard times. I want him back although I know I can’t.

This is the story of my pain and how I ended up as who I am today.