My Daily Reminder | Teen Ink

My Daily Reminder

November 18, 2015
By Dbsim17 BRONZE, CLARKSTON, Michigan
Dbsim17 BRONZE, CLARKSTON, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What’s the saddest moment you can think about in your life right now? I know mine. That day was one of the most miserable days of my life, and I can’t think about anything worse than that day. Let me tell you all about my story.
It was a sunday in the year of 2010, and I was currently in sixth grade. I arrived at my church that morning. As soon as I walked in, the mood immediately felt depressing and uncomfortable. I knew exactly why the mood felt this way.  The people around me were toppling with their emotions, trying to keep their emotions stable. Today was the day when our pastor would leave and move to another church. Pastor Paul was finally leaving our church after five years serving here.


Pastor Paul was an extremely likable guy. He would tell a lot of jokes during his sermons so you would remember it. He was very easy to talk with and to have fun with. He was cool, relaxed, and was always friendly when you would see him. It was honestly hard not to like him.


That day began with bible study as usual. I felt depressed and restless. I couldn’t even imagine how things were going to be without him; all the good times I’ve had with him. The jokes he said that made me laugh, the countless hours of watching him play guitar, and the everlasting smile he kept on his face. These thoughts flooded my molten-mended mind, and I became frustrated. Why did Pastor Paul have to leave? This is so stupid. This is so dumb. This is the worst day of my life! I don’t want a new pastor. This freaking sucks. I dozed off into my thoughts.


“Hey, are you alright?” My friend interrupting my thinking.
“Yeah, I’m alright. I’m just kind of sad Pastor Paul’s leavin,” I replied.
“Yeah, me too. I had so many good times with him when I was younger.”
“I wish he was our pastor forever,” as I sighed.
“Hey, maybe the new pastor will be cool,” he suggested.
“Hmmmm… I don’t think so. Pastor Paul was the best,” I said with a grumpy attitude.
“Hey. Can you boys stop talking please?” My sunday teacher politely asked.


My friend quickly leaned back to his spot, and I began to doze off again.


Time quickly caught up to itself and I realized bible study was over. We headed out the door and into the sanctuary for the sermon -- Pastor Paul's last sermon.


I sat in my usual seat and became to feel uneasy. I carefully watched him walk up on the stage. Pastor Paul had his hair done the same as every other sunday. He wore a red casual button up with khakis pants, and had his white basketball shoes he loved. He had a gleaming smile and stood tall in front of us. His emotions were alive when we expected him to be depressed and low. Instead, he looked joyful and confident.  He finished preparing for his sermon and stepped up close to the mic. His first word boomed throughout the sanctuary alerting everyone's attention. He took a deep breath, opened his bible, and began to speak.


His sermon lasted just as long as usual. He followed along with his powerpoint with the addition to his occasion jokes being put in here and there. He concluded his message, shut his bible, and looked up at us. He glared at all of us for a moment, and began to talk.


“Thank you everyone for my times here. I will forever keep these memories and friendships I’ve made in the past five years.” He took a deep breath and announced, “As a momento for me leaving; please look under your seats.”
Confused, I slowly checked under my seat to see a yellow block of wood that was taped down with scotch tape that read  “LOVE” on it. I quickly grabbed it and began to study it. After seconds of analyzing this strange rectangle, I realized that it was a Jenga block.


The Jenga block was freshly painted bright yellow like a dandelion on a bright summer day. The Jenga block stilled smelled like paint with the aroma of fresh wood. The letters “L’ O’ E’” were colored in with a bright blue sharpie and the letter “V” was colored red. I immediately felt sadness and I began to tear up. I glanced over to my friend to see him crying and noticed that his jenga block was very different from mine. Curiosity quickly became my objective as I looked around me to see that everyone’s jenga block was different. Some had different designs, colors, patterns, but all had the recurring word “LOVE” written in some way. Under Medusa’s stare, I was absolutely stunned. This could’ve taken weeks to make all these unique, maybe even a month.


Everyone gathering their thoughts, he then announced that himself and his wife spent the entire month hand painting these Jenga blocks. In total, he and his wife made about 150 uniquely painted Jenga blocks. After he clarified a couple things, Pastor Paul became serious and spoke.


“This is a reminder to always love others as God loved us. No matter what, you love because hate is what drives us away from others.” He then took a deep sigh.


“Thank you everyone. Thank you for all my memories here. I will miss all of you. May God bless your coming victories, hardships, and life ahead of you. Let’s pray,” and closed in prayer.


Reflecting on this moment today, maybe that day wasn’t the worst day after all. This motto to “Always Love,” became my ultimate lifestyle and It became how I lived everyday. The more I grew up, the more I understood why loving others was so important. I’ve gotten most of my friends this way and people respect me more as a person. Although Pastor Paul left, he left me a message that changed my life.


To this day, it sits on the top of my computer desk as a reminder to always love. Not just because my pastor told me to, but it’s a lifestyle that everyone should live. And there’s not a moment where I don’t regret following this lifestyle -- to always love, no matter what.