“A Day to Remember” | Teen Ink

“A Day to Remember”

By Proper199 BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan
Proper199 BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan

A memoir were I find the importance of family.

Chapter 1: A day to Remember

It was a cool fall Saturday morning, the sun was coming up. My mother wakes me up “Jake get up, we’re going to leave soon” I jumped out of bed and started getting ready. I was already thinking to myself. This is going to be so much fun. I hope everyone else is as excited as I am.  My family and I are heading up north to spend the weekend together. We all packed into our car. We were headed to our cabin in Hale Michigan. The nice thing about our cabin is how secluded it’s from the outside world. We receive no cell service, so it was nice to get away from everything for a little while. As my siblings and I have all grown up we seem to have grown apart. We are consumed by our own life so being able to spend time with each other is a nice reminder of the past. Back then we didn’t have so much responsibility; all we had to do was have fun. That's exactly what we did too. We all got in the car happy as can be, conversing with each other.   
          The car ride felt as long as summer itself but being with family made it fun and entertaining. Once arriving to the cabin I think everyone was relieved to just get out of the car. We all started unpacking. Our cabin is small yet welcoming. The initial walk through the door gives blast of familiar smell. There is a living room, kitchen area with two small bedrooms, a bathroom. My father asked me if I wanted to go on a walk. I agreed, because of how relaxing walking in nature can be. I'd like to listen to the sounds of the birds, while the cool fall breeze blows through my hair.  The leaves gently get carried away in the wind, across the ground making a soothing sound. It seemed like nature was singing to me. I love to explore the deep woods. I picked the coolest walking stick to accompany me on my journey. It's a delightful day. I enjoyed the bonding time with my father. My father warned “kept track of where we are.” I always kept track of where the cabin is, so I don't get lost. My father pointed out deer tracks. I asked, “How old do they look?”
He looked up and responded, “They’re fresh…”
“I propose we follow them.” I said.
“That's not a bad idea.” He waited a moment then said “It could be fun.”.
We followed them until we came across a clearing. That’s where we saw the largest deer and lots of other deer’s. I heard my father say “Wow” very quietly. This deer was majestic; it was nice to see something so beautiful. My father claimed, “ That was the largest deer I’ve ever seen.” I thought to myself... what a perfect way to end this evening. We came. We saw. We conquered
          We made it back to the cabin in time to watch the sunset. My mother kept saying “It’s so beautiful up here” Our cabin is so secluded that the light pollution is almost nonexistent. Once the sun went down the night sky was even prettier. The night sky was unbelievable up there, it was like staring right out into space. The moon was full and bright. I started thinking of the moon landing and how anything is possible. We constructed a large pile of wood and sticks. My family and I lit a fire. My sister shouted, “Whoa what a huge fire!”  My family and spent the remained of the night together. The warmth of the fire is almost as warm as the memories. I could spend an eternity up there.  We played cards and socialized. It was very nice to be able to find time to spend with each other. I thought to myself I wonder the next time we will all be able to do this. This small vacation may have been short lived. However the memories we created will last a lifetime...  I love spending time with my family, I realized how important it is to have them in my life. I have change my life ever since the the moments at the cabin, I shared with them. I Make sure to have conversions and go out of my way to spend time with them.