Mauled | Teen Ink

Mauled

By nikoscheich BRONZE, Chesterfield, Michigan
nikoscheich BRONZE, Chesterfield, Michigan

My cousin and I were standing on the porch in front of my aunts house in Detroit during the summer about three years ago when what looked like an adult, brown and black German Shepherd came up to were we where standing. I walked up to the dog and greeted him with an open hand. After we realized the lost, or stray dog was friendly I told my cousin to go inside and get our new guest some food because he looked hungry.

He asked me what food dogs eat and I thought to myself “This dog is probably smarter than my cousin.”
He came back out about 5 minutes later with a bag of carrots and asked “Are dogs allergic to these?”
I responded “No, because both of my dogs prefer carrots over real dog treats.”

He handed me the bag and we began to feed the German Shepherd. Looking back we should have left the dog alone and went back inside at first sight of the German Shepherd. After about half an hour of hanging out with our new brown and black, furry friend, another dog came up to us, a white and black full grown Husky. I walked up to it with a carrot in my hand. Looking back, that choice was one of the worst choices in my life,But when I got close, with the most vicious growl I have ever heard, the Husky leaped at me like his paws were springs and began chomping at me. Seeing the grown Husky run at me snarling with its sharp teeth showing is an image intimidating enough in itself to strike fear and shock into anyone.

After the longest 10 minutes of my life thinking to myself “This Husky is a ball of death and destruction and I just got in its path of carnage.”

My hero, the German Shepherd came to my aid and fought off the crazed demon Husky. My arms were chewed up and covered in Husky saliva.

My cousin walked up to me and said “I was about to come pull him off of you but the dog beat me to it.”
I knew he was trying to flex so I just said “ Yeah dogs are a lot faster than most people, thanks for trying.”
But I wanted to say “Shut up I know you were to scared to help me, you baby.”

My cousin is not the smartest, but I still have respect for him. Out of all my visits to that beat up, sun bleached, old house with all of its plastic white siding falling off,  this one by far, is the most memorable. I know now that not all dogs have good intentions. To this day I have never tried to pet or feed random dogs and still get uncomfortable around other dogs. I still have a fear in my mind of petting unfamiliar dogs because I would rather not get mauled again.

It was traumatic for me.