The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

October 16, 2015
By BrittanyHogg BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
BrittanyHogg BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


The sound of a loud buzzing was the first thing I heard, it was almost as if someone was cutting through a thick tree. Buzzzzzz, buzzzzzzzzz; it was annoying me. Suddenly I hear the loud screams coming from my sister, I didn’t understand, why was she screaming? What was happening? I could hear someone laughing, and suddenly I realized I was laughing. My oldest brother was suddenly by my side, pulling on me.


“Come on Britt, you gotta work with me.” He says calmly into my ear.


Looking up into his eyes, I could see a mixture of fear in with the blue. Instead of asking him what’s wrong I try to help him. My sister was still screaming in the background and now my other two brothers were running over.


“Shawn go get dad!” Tyler was yelling as he held me to his chest, he had already shut off the lawn mower.


It seemed as if without a second thought Shawn took off running into my Grandma’s house, we had been over for a cook-out. Although my Grandma and my mom had to drive to the store, they had to get the food before we could have a cook out. Before my grandma had left she asked Tyler to mow the lawn, and after a few minutes of begging my dad agreed to let me ride on it. Guess this wasn’t a good idea.


“What the hell happened?!” I hear my dad yell, looking up I see him running out of my Grandma’s house.


Suddenly I feel something wet and warm trailing down my right leg, Tyler had just lifted my left leg and placed it over my right leg. As I looked at my left foot, I was horrified and started to scream. There was blood everywhere, all but my big toe were hanging by a thin thread of skin. My big toe was only slightly cut open.


“Dad call 911!” My dad yells to my Grandpa who was standing on the porch.


What seemed like a few hours later was only a few minutes, hearing the sirens as I was curled up in my dad’s arms with a towel wrapped tightly around my foot like a tourniquet gave me a slight sense of hope. As soon as I was strapped down in the ambulance my mom had arrived, having been called by her mom. When I saw her I burst into tears begging the paramedics to let her come with me. At the hospital I was rushed into emergency surgery where they ended up removing my toes on my left foot except for my big toe. It was a few days before I woke up and was talking, the first thing I was able to ask was; “Did I miss the cook out?” This had everyone who looked solemn laughing in a matter of seconds.


After a while my mom’s face turned serious and she began telling me everything that had happened; I was missing four toes on my left foot, my big toe was broken, my heel and ankle were broken, and I probably wouldn’t be able to walk ever again.


A few months after my accident, the doctors had said I would never walk again. Although I knew they were probably right, I wanted to at least try. So after months of physical therapy I decided it was time to walk. The look on my family’s faces was priceless, I had been laid up in my room like I usually was since the accident and then I got up. Walking all the way into the living room where everyone else is, I smiled and said to my mom. “I’m hungry.” I had never seen her react so fast, one minute she was sitting on the couch and the next minute she was pulling me into her arms and crying.


And that is the story of how I proved the doctors wrong about me never walking again.


The author's comments:

This is a true story of how I proved the doctors wrong.