I Believe In Sacrifice | Teen Ink

I Believe In Sacrifice

By Alexa-Dotson BRONZE, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Alexa-Dotson BRONZE, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

The day the letter came, I knew what it was instantly. My head dropped. A few close relatives that was visiting us from Kentucky gathered around. She slowly tore it open, making my stomach twist even more. She pulled out a cream colored paper and began to read it silently. Her smile grew wider. Jumping with joy, she exclaimed “ WE'RE MOVING TO HOLLYWOOD” Everyone was excited, but instantly I began to cry.                          

It seemed like I was overwhelmed with joy, but I wasn’t. Instead, it was the agony seeping through my innocent smile. Expressing my true feelings on the issue would mean “A selfish five-year old.” Everyone thought, “Modeling is her ticket out of this dump” To some extent that it was true, but you can't really blame me. I mean, I was offered a chance to fame, fortune, and glory. Isn’t that what everyone wants, just to be the center of attention; to be adored by everyone? It’s just human nature. Except, I had something else in mind.

I missed the life I left behind 2,000 miles away. Everything I had ever known was there. Deciding to stay or to go would affect my life forever. I didn’t know anyone who could predict the future accurately, so nobody was in the position to give me advice. Deciding to stay would help financially down the road, but going home I’d live a normal middle class life by my family. Either way who knows who I’ll meet, who knows what school will be like, and who knows what life has to offer?

As the excitement died down, I had to eventually say something. I  walked over to my mom and asked, “Since we are moving to Hollywood, when is Pawpaw and Nana coming again?” I already knew the answer, since everyone only got to come to L.A. for a week every three months. She sighed “Honey it won’t be for a long time.” My head dropped. She said “I thought you liked it here?” I explained everything. I expected to get yelled at, but to my surprise she hugged me and said, “I miss home too.”

With that hug, my modeling career was over. I sacrificed everything just to be with the ones I love. Now that I have matured, I don’t regret it. This decision made me who I am: more respectful, loving, and caring. From this I learned that spending time with the ones you love is priceless compared to fame and fortune. 

I believe in sacrifice.