It's Raining Ashes | Teen Ink

It's Raining Ashes

June 20, 2015
By yeyyey BRONZE, Yangon, Other
yeyyey BRONZE, Yangon, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This happened when I lived in Guatemala, a country located in Central America. The country is also known as “The Land of Eternal Spring” because it always seems to be spring: no snow, nice weather, and clear sky.

It had been an ordinary day. I had gone through my normal school-day routine and the day was coming to an end. I was chatting with my friends online. It was about 10 pm. I could see the dark sky through the window.

“Drop Drop Drop Drop”

The sound gradually got louder and louder.

“Thud Thud Thud Thud”

‘Oh, it’s raining’ I thought to myself. I smiled at the thought of listening to the rain while falling asleep. I loved to do that.

“Bzzzzz…Bzzzzzz” The phone was vibrating against my desk. I looked at the caller ID: one of the friends I was chatting to online.

“Alo”

“Alo? Huh. Weirdo, why did you call me?”

“Dude! Go outside!”

“What? Why?”

“Hurry!”

“Huh? I’m in my pajamas!”
I looked down at what I was wearing: pink fluffy slippers, shorts, and an old T-shirt. However, the excitement in my friend’s voice and the curiousness that arose in me won over my laziness.

I ran down the stairs as fast as I could. I couldn’t see my toes.

I opened the door but I could not see anything except darkness. It was a bit more dark than usual but I didn’t find anything extraordinary.

“Now what?”

“Huh, you don’t see it?”

“Huh? What do you mean? Darkness? Rain?”

“Reach out your hand”

My curiosity overcame my fear of the unknown. I reached out my hand. As soon as I did, I felt something fall onto my palm. I brought my hand so I could see what had fallen. Ashes.

“Huh! What! Why are ashes falling from the sky?”

“I’m not sure but I think Pacaya exploded”

“Oh my gosh! Hahahahahaha!”

It was as if black snow was falling down in place of snow. My eyes gazed in wonder as I saw black ashes pouring from the sky. The sky was pitch-black and the sight of pure darkness strengthened my other senses. I heard the ashes falling and felt the night breeze against my skin. Unknown feelings of excitement, surprise, and calmness arose in me.

I went back inside and got ready to go to sleep. That day, I went to sleep with the sound of ashes falling down.