“This Too Shall Pass” | Teen Ink

“This Too Shall Pass”

June 4, 2015
By sabrinaveldran BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sabrinaveldran BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Over the years, I have learned many extremely valuable lessons about life and growing up as the first-born child in my family. My mother, my guardian angel, has guided me through the ins and outs of childhood, and now the terrifying teenage trials and tribulations. From day one, my mother and I have been extremely close, I consider her my best friend. We work together as a team, and even though our “team” doesn’t always win, we end up closer in the end because of our constant communication. 


My mom has always been my hero, and through her lessons and guidance I have learned many valuable skills and tricks to help me along through this difficult world we live in. Yet, her greatest lesson, the one I carry on my sleeve is that, “this too shall pass.” This quote from the bible continues to prove true, and my mom has shown me that every single bad situation that I can imagine will pass me by and only make me stronger. 


As a child, my mom was pretty typical in a sense that nothing traumatic happened to her. Like all teens, there have been breakups, makeups, arguments, and all around bad situations that tested my strength. Although her past was not as shady as others, her experiences still create valuable lessons for me to learn from. Somehow, we all get through even the worst of situations regardless of the severity. Some encounters take longer than others to overcome, but eventually all pain ends up stinging just a little bit less.


Throughout my teen years,  like my mom, I have endured break ups, makeups, and some pretty devastating encounters. As I cried on my mom’s shoulder, she ran her fingers through my hair and said, “give it time honey, things will be better soon.” With these soothing words, I feel strength, because I know that she has been through the same situations as me, and if she can make it through, so can I.


Mothers have a way of making even the toughest of situations remotely tolerable. No one will ever love and protect you like your mom, and when she gives you useful advice, take it, she’s right; that’s just a fact of life. Although you feel as if the world is crashing around you, and she says, “Give it time,” you can’t help but to shut her out. You want people to feel sorry for you, and you certainly don’t want people telling you to “wait it out”.


Yet, looking back on all the things that I thought were important, and the things that broke my heart, I have realized that those things passed, just like my mom said they would. My worst thoughts, biggest regrets, and hardest goodbyes don’t seem so big anymore. If it weren’t for her assurance, I’m sure the situations would have been solved, yet I would be a much more negative person because of it. A parent’s job is to guide you; my mom is just a little better at it than most other moms.