My Lifelong Passion | Teen Ink

My Lifelong Passion

By Kamil Kuzminski SILVER, New York, New York
Kamil Kuzminski SILVER, New York, New York

Every since I was born, I loved that round ball that people play with their feet. If you are from anywhere but America, you call it Football, or Fussball, or Football, depending on the nation. But, I’m here in America so we call it soccer. Even though the so called “football” in America is played with the hands and arms mostly. That’s a debate for another day. I have played soccer every since I could control a ball properly, so five years old. I’m sixteen as of late, so for eleven years I have played the beautiful game, regardless of what you call it or where you originate in the world, the game is called as such. Before I played my first adequate game at 10 years of age or so, I listened to an inspiring speech, it spoke as such, “Game after game after game, I realized what was most important to me in my life, FOOTBALL. Show me something more thrilling than the perfect volley, tell me u never u never dreamed the immaculate strike in part of that moment when an entire nation holds it’s breath. Tell me that football isn’t our one common language. When the whole planet stops for ninety minutes to be witnessed to that one thing we all understand. Yeah, you can tell me I’m wrong. Some may say it’s just a game, but this is about heroes and tribes, loyalty and devotion. Its our commitment and our passion. Our battle and our belief. This is our fear one now. Hear the fever of the crowd, hear the roar of the faithful, YOU ARE YOU! This is the beautiful game this is your moment.

Pretty inspiring, huh? I listen to that as well as certain songs like Fire by Gavin Degraw, and On My Way by Charlie Brown to help inspire for my training sessions and games. I consider myself pretty versatile and skilled. I can play Centre Back (CB), Left Back (LB), Goal Keeper (GK), Centre Midfielder (CM), Centre-Attacking Midfielder (CAM), Left-Attacking Midfielder (LAM), and Left Midfielder/winger (LM/LW). I consider myself great at distribution of passes. I possess some bursts of pace. Overall, My work ethic and will to play (passion) is immense. I give my all on that field for 90 minutes. Skills wise, I can do step-overs, a roulette or two, pretty good at juggling the ball and my backheel are a very wise outlet to get past players.

I know this sounds like a scouting report, so I’ll move on. My favorite soccer team is Arsenal Football Club, located in North London. I can’t explain, but the play beautiful passing football that just adds elegance to the game of Football as a whole. The manager is prestigious and his name is conwisdencendly, Arsene Wenger. The first five letters of his first name “ARSEN-e” are the same as the first five words of the club’s name “ARSEN-al”. Match made in heaven, supposedly. Also, the squad is well-rounded. I enjoy to watch all the players. There is one player, Jack Wilshere who I have chosen to be my role model in life, because of his generosity (donating money to charity/hospitals, his work ethic, and his personality. His ethic alone proves to me that aI can overcome any type of obstacle no matter how big or small.

I have always liked A.F.C. since 2007, when I started watching soccer. Me and my father watched the premier league debut that season, and ever since this team is my burning passion and most of what I stand for. That alone should show you my commitment to this team. I plan to be a lifelong fan. I’m Arsenal till I perish. I know most of the cheers, and would love to go to their stadium. The Emirates. From what I hear the atmosphere is stunning. The fans sing the whole game and make a outing of every game with banners and such. Its truly one to experience. I always tend to be arsenal gear, I have a training sweater, pants, 5-6 jerseys, a cup, scarf, etc. All established and inspired in labeling by my favorite team.

Over my career, I have played through snow, pouring rain, indoor futsal, anything to enjoy the thrill of playing through all four seasons, three hundred and sixty five days a year. My record is probably if I add/average up a decade of stats. 82% passing accuracy, 67 assists, 54 goals, and 63 clean sheets (which when the opposition doesn’t score on my when I am put in the goal, in case you didn’t ). I feel and have the need to talk about this but I love all positions that I play and even the ones I don’t. But the goalkeeping position, especially in this country is treated like a chore, this mentality should be reformed. I find it unacceptable.

So, let this be a story that many children use to overcome any obstacles that trespass across their dream. Allow them to cling onto a passion, for it will guide them and dictate them to a career of certainty. My aspiration is to work really hard and try out for my beloved club’s youth academy, for only 50 pounds (British currency) in the summer. It will take severe determination to get myself over the line and perform on the given day. I’ll be blessed and forever grateful just to grace that pitch and meet some of the players, the manager, all if I’m lucky in that regard, and to show off my potential and my skill set to professional coaches would be amazing and spectacular. I know that deep down I will be proud of myself and my family of me regardless of how far this goes, and I also will be playing soccer, because my love of the game has no boundaries or limits, even after I make it in or not, but I have other careers to fall back on that I’m currently exploring. So there you have it, there is the documentary of my life-long passion.