Remembered in Our Hearts | Teen Ink

Remembered in Our Hearts

It was gloomy but yet a day that people would keep in their heart for many years of the regret and consequences that followed their actions. As people dressed up for this occasion stood outside and people inside said their last words to him their sat a little girl in the front row that could not control her emotions. The emotions fluttered out of her small little eyes like a waterfall that would never stop, and her stomach felt like it was turning inside out. There the girl sat unsure of what was happening in this situation all she saw around her were family members that were balling and a big wooden casket that was covered in all different flowers. As me and my parents proceed to the line were my Aunt Dawn was standing I could see that she was very upset. The little girl turned to her parents and asked a question that soon her parents would not know how to answer.
“Mom… Dad why is she so upset?” said Paige.
Her parents looked at each other unsure what to tell her- someone who looked up to her uncle. They stood there for a few more minutes in silence as we reached where my Aunt Dawn was standing. That is when the emotions started to flow again, I saw my parents have tears coming out of their eyes and my aunt that had tears coming out of her eyes ten times faster. All a little girl saw was the people that all cared about her crying hysterically.
She stared at all the family members that were gathered there before her. It took her back to a time when everybody was joyful and excited. There she sat on the bleachers as she watched her father and numerous family members huddle in the middle of the softball field. The team stood there as Nick gave a few wise words before the game say, “Go out there and have fun!” As the game began Paige and her cousin Brad sat there on the bleachers yelling and cheering for their dads. The game proceeded and eventually ended with us winning 10-4. As the teams shook hands the little girl and her cousin ran out on the field to go hug their dads. After we gathered all our equipment we proceed to the car where we opened the trunk to put the equipment away. That’s when the team decided that we should eat at the bowling alley next door. As everybody sat at the table getting ready to eat Paige, her cousin, and her uncle went to the arcade to play some games while she was unsure how to play most of the games she got help from her uncle. As the parents yelled for Paige saying, “It was time to eat!” She ran to the table and sat down and began to eat. 
All of a sudden she felt someone grab her shoulder and reality set that he would not play another softball game again. As Paige’s eyes began to tear up again overcame her grandma that sat right next to her to talk to her telling her that everything was going to be alright. The grandma and the little girl stood up and proceed to the back room where she could control her emotions and calm down. As they got to the back room Paige sat in her grandma’s lap and soon began to daydream.
As a little girl danced in the middle of the dance floor at her parents wedding all of a sudden the room went pitch black and the music stopped. Many people unsure of what was happening in this situation went outside and noticed that the power was out everywhere that it didn’t just happen to them. Not sure on how much more time the power would be off the guest began to leave and go home. As my parents and some family members began picking up the stuff from the wedding my aunt Dawn got a phone call that changed her life forever. My aunts began to ball and everybody started to go over to her and ask her, “What is wrong?” She was crying very hard and trying to say what happened that it was a little hard for people to understand her but after a while these three words came out of her mouth, “Nick is dead.” As everybody around her began to cry they sat there for 10 minutes trying to take in what they just heard. Soon my grandma came over and talked to everybody saying that, “Everybody needs to go home, and we will talk about this in the morning.”
All of a sudden I felt someone pick me up out of my car seat and my eyes opened and the thought was gone. As my parents and I walked up towards the burial site I was still a little unsure of some parts of the situation. When we got next to the casket my parents finally said to me words that I never would expect.
“You need to say goodbye to your uncle.” Said my mom
“Why?” asked Paige
“Well it is going to be awhile before you are able to see your uncle again, he got in a bad accident and he passed away.” Explained her dad
For a little girl these were big words and words that she would have never wanted to hear come out of her parent’s mouth. But as she sat there and said her goodbyes she shared a few stories of the times that her and her uncle spent together and bonded with each other.
“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” Norman Cousins
When I think about this today I always have a feeling that my uncle is present when I am having a rough time and there are often time that I wish that I could sit down and have a conversation with him. He truly understood me at a young age and we now could have connected on our interest that we shared on sports. He was an uncle that had been there since day one and cared so much amount me. I am glad that I got to spend the time with him that I did but I still wish he could be here today to see me and my cousin Brad grow into mature young adults.