Sink or Sing | Teen Ink

Sink or Sing

March 24, 2015
By KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

When I was little I was always the loudest in our home, but it was never screaming or yelling.  I found my passion at a young age and I wanted to pursue it.  My first time ever singing in front of people outside of school programs was at youth group.  I was fourteen when I signed up to join the youth band and I was put on a probationary period for about three or four months.  I had to show that I was responsible enough to show up for practices and learn the songs enough to sing them without the music sheets in front of me all the time.  I would still practice with the band and sing the same songs they did, but I didn’t sing on Wednesdays when they performed.  I was always too shy to sing in front of people but my vocal coach helped me get over that fear.  She would work with me and tell me tricks to avoid looking at people.  I also had support from my friend Bella who also was in the band; she would tell me to look at her when I got nervous while singing. 


The day came when I had to sing with the band in front of people.  I was so nervous that my hands were shaking with my microphone.  The male vocalists, Jimmy and Doug, encouraged me to sing out and smile.  I looked at my vocal teacher Melissa and asked her what I should do, she just smiled and told me I knew.  Bella hugged me before we started to sing, she whispered in my ear, “Good luck, you can do it.  Remember you can look at me.” 


When I started to sing I was nervous but by the second verse I was having fun.  I looked at Bella and she was smiling at me, then glanced an Melissa and she nodded.  She also plays the keyboard, but she could still watch me from the other side of the stage.


When we finished and the Wednesday night activities were over Melissa and the other members told me I did really well and that they were proud of me.  It meant a lot coming from Melissa when she told me I would be singing a solo soon and that I should start to practice.  I was super excited and I can’t wait to preform solo with all my friend watching.