the first | Teen Ink

the first

By HATCH_2 BRONZE, Tulalip, Washington
HATCH_2 BRONZE, Tulalip, Washington

The first. The first one of my life. “HATCH SCORE’S THE TOUCHDOWN!” But lets go back a little bit to last year. I was a rookie, first year of football, I can admit I had no idea what i was doing, Running around the field like a chicken with its head cut off. Then the coach took me out of the game. I was sitting on the bench, when one of the assistant coach’s sat by me and said “Hey Hatch keep your head up, you may not start this year but you got to work your tail off to get the coaches attention.” “Yes coach.” I said. From that day on i was second string, After that game I went home and took a shower and went to bed.

(13 WEEKS LATER ). The championship game. We start our arm ups and the head coach walked  up to me and told me “Hey Hatch you might play today so be ready, ok?” “Ok” i said. I was on the kickoff team so i got to go out and actually hit someone. We kick the ball off to the other team, I hit my guy as hard as i could. I hit him like a runaway truck, I get a chance at the return guy and i wrap up his legs then Ruben Sanabria comes up and lays a hit like no other. They go 3 and out. are offence goes out on the field and we score.

Its the 4th quarter 5:00 minutes to go. They get to our 10 yard line they try running the ball up the middle, that don't work we have the best line in the league. There is 4:21 left on the clock, they throw the ball - INTERCEPTION!!!! We get the ball on the 50 yard line. Every one knew what happens next, we run the clock out. Literally. We run the ball everywhere getting first downs here and there.There is 1:34 seconds left on the clock. They put the 3rd string in. I don't go in.As the clock hits zero the whole team rushes the field like a swarm of bees.

(one year later) Its the MYFL draft there are only two teams that i can go to. The Tomahawks, or the Chargers. “and with the 3rd pick in the MYFL draft the Chargers select Tayler Hatch”. The announcer said. As i walked on the stage and shaked the coaches hand he said  “Its a pleasure to have you on our team” the coach said. “Thanks” I said.As they closed up the draft I walk outside get in my car and go home. (2weeks later) The first practice of 2014. We start the practice with a jog to the fence and back. We get back and are head coach talks to us about how this team could win a championship. We start are warm up’s, So we start to get ready for some running back drills im first in line, Its a standard EYE right 28 pitch. I was way faster than i was last year, I run right out to the sideline keeping myself inbounds the cornerback tries to tackle me  i make a cut back and do a spin move,He falls over as i'm running up the sideline i see the safety.I start to sprint as fast as i could. I stiffarm the safety.And i can hear the offensive coordinator say “That Hatch kid he may be something special”. I walk out of the endzone grinning. As practice comes to an end i walk off the practice field happy. As i get in the car my grandpa said “What are you grinning about?” “I think i got the coaches attention!”.

Its defensive day. We do are usually jog.I come back and the defensive coordinator says to me “I’m thinking of trying you out  at Linebacker” “Ok” I say.So i walk with the linebackers to are part of the field.The coach say’s i might start you at linbacker” “Ok” I said. As we close practice up, I walk to the car i get in and I ride home with my grandpa. I get home take a shower.

The first game was on saturday, I grab my helmet and walk out on the field.I as I walk to the head coach i asked” am I a  starter?” “yes you are, Fullback” “Oh, okay”. The other team kicks off the ball. Im on the sideline waiting for my start of 2014. As I walk out to the huddle the crowd starts to cheer.I get in the huddle the QB gets to the huddle he calls a “EYE right 31 dive” In my mind is saying “YES”. We  break the huddle we walk up to the line “DOWN SET,HUT”. FUMBLE! Luckily one of the linemen lands on the ball. we are on the 20 yard line. The coach calls a play that we have not done since the 2nd week of practice, He calls a “doubles right Fullback screen left”.WE break the huddle. “DOWN SET,HUT” finally the QB gets a grip on the ball i run out to my screen position. he tosses me the ball.I follow my blockers, Then i see the biggest hit ever Lincoln Davis hits the cornerback like a runaway truck. i stiffarm the safety, all I see is the end zone I make a break for it “HATCH GETS THE TOUCHDOWN!” The feeling of when you cross that end zone it is unexplainable. IT feels like all that hard work you did in practice pays off in the end.

IN MEMORY OF:
JAY RAY R.I.P